Xbox 360 network problem

G

This problem has confused me to no end. I used to connect my 360 to an wireless access point with no problems (other than having to power off/on the access point everytime I turned on the Xbox). Our router is close enough to the 360 to have a direct connection. When I plug it in and power it up, I get nothing through the router. The light doesn't even come on showing the activity. I've tried different jacks on the router and even hooked it into an old router to see if the lights would come on (nothing of course). I've toyed around with the ip settings ranging from an ip address I know is not shared to automatically assigning one. I know the cable is good since I've swapped it around with our VOIP box and even updated the blu-ray player with it. After all this troubleshooting, I hook it back up to the access point and it works like a champ. WTF is going on with this? I'm using an Asus RT-N15 router (with port forwarding set up for the XBox hard wired connection ip). Thanks for any help!

panto

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Test the ports on the router by connecting any wired device. If that works, could be your xbox NIC is busted? I assume you've completely disabled wireless on the xbox while testing this. Not sure what your port forwarding is for, I didn't think the xbox ran any services unless it's something specific to that router..

G

The port works fine with everything else and like I said, I've tried multiple ports on the router. The port forwarding is for Live 360 (53, 80, and 3074). I don't know of any feature to disable wireless on the 360 since wireless isn't stock. Maybe my first post wasn't to clear...I had the 360 attached to the wireless access point via CAT 5 cable. From there, the access point acts like a wireless card (spend $30 on the access point or $100 for the wireless connection from Microsoft....hmmmm). I appreciate the response.