Dell Studion XPS won't boot

Dominos

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Hello,
I purchased a used Dell Studio XPS computer. It has a blank SATA hard drive and no Floppy drives just USB slots.
When I try to boot it say Bootmgr not found. I am assuming the previous owner deleted all data and partitions from the hard drive. In an effort to fix this issue I tried to install XP with my old installation disk. It booted and started but half way through loading the installation programs etc. , I got the blue screen of death just after it had copied the NTFS and FAT programs.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Dominos

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

I am trying to install XP from a cd onto a BLANK SATA hard drive. In order to apply SP1, SP2 or SP3 you first have to have the base level of XP installed on the PC.

Hi Fi Fan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I assume that you've formatted the drive before loading in the XP. If not, try that! If after putting in XP and you still see the same thing, sounds like you need a new hard drive.

fatsoferret

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
well first off, its a dell. thats a problem :)

its probally the HDD, my friend brought me a computer to fix with that issue and after a lot of headach it was found to be the HDD was failing. try replaceing it.

Dominos

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

Thanks for the help. I did the slipstream of XP and SP3 and that did the trick.
Once again thanks for the help