Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 Pricing Question Regarding Sandy Bridge

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Intel i7
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 30, 2010 3:58:17 PM

I am looking into building a computer and I currently have the i5 760 in my shopping cart. I was considering i7 but it is out of my price range. Will the price of the i7 drop after Sandy Bridge? And how much will it drop?

More about : pricing question sandy bridge

December 30, 2010 4:18:23 PM

It will drop, but no one knows how much or when. Regardless, I wouldn't buy an Intel CPU right now. There's going to be new i5s with the Sandy Bridge release.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 4:21:31 PM

MadAdmiral said:
It will drop, but no one knows how much or when. Regardless, I wouldn't buy an Intel CPU right now. There's going to be new i5s with the Sandy Bridge release.


Thank you for your answer. How long after Sandy Bridge is released do you think the prices will drop?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 4:31:01 PM

Again, no idea. It depends on what prices Sandy Bridge will actually be selling at. If it comes in with a MSRP significantly higher than the current ones, the current i7 prices may not fall that soon. If it comes in with a MSRP close to what's currently out there, but consistently sells out (driving prices up a lot like when the HD 5xxx series cards were released), prices would likely drop slightly at first, then stay steady for a while. If it comes in with a close MSRP and sells at that price, the i7 price drop should be almost immediate and permanent.

It's all a real crapshoot. Right now, it looks like the new i7s will be released around $300-320 and the i5s at around $180-220. If that holds, I'd guess that it's likely that the old i7s will drop a good $25-50 or so really close to the January 9th release date. Just wait and see what happens. A few weeks won't kill you.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 4:41:25 PM

I would expect prices on the 1156 based CPUs to drop significantly w/ Sandy Bridge .... might be a small sympathetic drop on the 1366 based CPU's but I wouldn't expect them to drop significantly until late summer when the successor to the 1366 arrives
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 5:15:20 PM

celtics999 said:
I currently also have this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would you advise me to wait on a price drop on the mobo too, or just purchase it now and wait on the processing chip?



I dont think Mobo prices will drop. Only the CPu's. If you already bought it, cool. If not, you can wait and see. Might I recommend the i7-870? Its current around $280. If It doesn't go down in price. Buy a new i7-860 on Ebay. I picked up my 860 on ebay, brand new in box, for just under $200.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 5:30:53 PM

I wouldn't buy the board yet either. The new CPUs will use a new socket (LGA1155), so that board would be useless.

Will the price drop? I have no idea. I suspect it will eventually, but I be hard pressed to actually link it to the release of Sandy Bridge.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 5:56:21 PM

Thank you all, you have been very helpful. Would it be safe to buy all of the other components such as power supply, hdd, disc drive, ram, and video card? I am able to get a good price on these items and some of them expire tomorrow.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 6:03:13 PM

Yes, but I'd be wary about having time to test them while you can still return them. Remember, if you decide to go with Sandy Bridge (and it's probably going to be a better choice), you'll likely have to wait to be able to buy the parts and some time to get them shipped.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 9:53:29 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Yes, but I'd be wary about having time to test them while you can still return them. Remember, if you decide to go with Sandy Bridge (and it's probably going to be a better choice), you'll likely have to wait to be able to buy the parts and some time to get them shipped.

Thank you for the response. I think the best idea would be to just hold off until I am sure everything adds up. What do you think?
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 10:19:34 PM

amoghthegamer said:
I dont think Mobo prices will drop. Only the CPu's. If you already bought it, cool. If not, you can wait and see. Might I recommend the i7-870? Its current around $280. If It doesn't go down in price. Buy a new i7-860 on Ebay. I picked up my 860 on ebay, brand new in box, for just under $200.

If an i7-860 is selling for $280, then get an i7-950 for $290.
m
0
l
December 31, 2010 12:09:03 AM

Except that the X58 boards are a good $100 more, and you'd still need to spend about $50 more for triple channel RAM.
m
0
l
!