Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU for 2*hd6850 new gaming rig?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 30, 2010 4:00:28 PM

I already order NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Havnt order any other part, though most important is to build 2*6850 crossfire for high end gaming(no overclocking), not sure what PSU to order...

Though about 650W/750W/850W but not sure whats the minimum required, I need stable system though...price for 650W is pretty reasonable ($70) while 850W is $130+ for good antec/corsair PSU with bronze/silver rating...

CPU would be either 1190T or I7-950...(motherboard/RAM depends on selection)

I am in delimma do I really need to get 850W or can do with 650W?

More about : psu hd6850 gaming rig

December 30, 2010 4:14:52 PM

Even a Corsair 650TX can handle two 6850s. Each 6850 requires one 6 pin connector.
650TX has two 6 + 2 pin connectors which can work as a simple 6 pin connector. The extra two pins just branch off. You may need to provide more info for all of your parts.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 5:19:46 PM

heda_p said:
I already order NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Havnt order any other part, though most important is to build 2*6850 crossfire for high end gaming(no overclocking), not sure what PSU to order...

Though about 650W/750W/850W but not sure whats the minimum required, I need stable system though...price for 650W is pretty reasonable ($70) while 850W is $130+ for good antec/corsair PSU with bronze/silver rating...

CPU would be either 1190T or I7-950...(motherboard/RAM depends on selection)

I am in delimma do I really need to get 850W or can do with 650W?




like retalia said, a 650TX will be enough for Crossfire. but may I ask why your buying 2 6850's? Why not the 5850's? Also I would recommend go with the 1190T or if your budget can fit a 1100T. I would defientely look into overclocking it if I were you with sufficent cooling.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2010 5:37:15 PM

A hexacore CPU offers no advantage in gaming. A 965BE would offer higher bang/buck, but an i7-950 would probably offer notably better performance from a multi-GPU setup.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 5:42:05 PM

nzxt got some nice power supplies in white
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 8:27:53 PM

Agree with Jtt283 on gaming dont benifit hexacore...

I bought corsair 3 channel memory for $60(2GB *3) 1600 12800

Now I have to go with i7950 which is around $200 at microcenter

asus sabertooth x58 probably be the motherboard

will be adding h50 as cooler and probably 2 more fans (just to have better cooling for long hours high end gaming)

6850 is better because of HD3D tech, which support all 3 3D formats and existing 3D hardware (open standard)

Overclocking is not required since I checked with crossfirex you can play almost any game with best framerate (atleast 50+)

Onus said:
A hexacore CPU offers no advantage in gaming. A 965BE would offer higher bang/buck, but an i7-950 would probably offer notably better performance from a multi-GPU setup.


So considering this setup do you guys think antec earthwatt 650W will not cause unstability for long high end gaming?

I like to keep PSU under $100 but if required for stability I am okay spending money on corsair 850AX $160

Thanks ~ Prakash
m
0
l

Best solution

December 30, 2010 11:50:29 PM

I think the 650 Earthwatts will do fine if there is no overclocking stable 24/7 personally I would go with the 650tx or the xfx 750w
Share
a b 4 Gaming
December 31, 2010 12:19:46 AM

Yep. If I expected to need another [relatively powerful] PSU anytime soon, I'd be tempted by that one, just to put on a shelf for that price.
m
0
l
December 31, 2010 6:41:48 AM

amoghthegamer said:
like retalia said, a 650TX will be enough for Crossfire. but may I ask why your buying 2 6850's? Why not the 5850's? Also I would recommend go with the 1190T or if your budget can fit a 1100T. I would defientely look into overclocking it if I were you with sufficent cooling.

The 6850's perform much better in cf then the 5850's do.
m
0
l
December 31, 2010 12:01:09 PM

Best answer selected by heda_p.
m
0
l
!