Sign in with
Your question

How do I know what Graphics Cards fit my motherboard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2010 7:57:08 AM

Hello,

I'm relatively new to this computer building scene and have decided to start my first build. Trouble is, I have no idea about graphics cards and what motherboards they work with. So I thought I should ask for help.

I am hoping to purchase a Gigabyte P55A-UD6 Motherboard with an i5-750 CPU, a Corsair 850TX PSU and Crucial DDR3 memory.

I have been looking at GTX 470 and Radeon HD5850 GPUs but am unsure of what one and what manufacturer card I should buy.

Please help.
October 31, 2010 7:59:38 AM

Oh, and the computer will be mostly used for Gaming and general all round stuff e.g. Media playback and storage.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2010 8:27:57 AM

No problem, any current PCI-E card will fit just fine, also consider the gtx 460 with 1g of ram almost as good as the 470 and not so costly...:) 
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2010 9:09:16 AM

Looks like a good system. Remember to get a good case. You'd be suprised how much of a let down a bad case is.

Just to ass to what dokk2 said, GTX 460s tend to be a bit cheaper than 5850s but are only a tiny bit alower at high res with AA. Even the Crossfire and SLI tests show very marginall differences.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2010-gaming-graphi...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2010 3:10:38 PM

Trollems said:
Hello,

I'm relatively new to this computer building scene and have decided to start my first build. Trouble is, I have no idea about graphics cards and what motherboards they work with. So I thought I should ask for help.

I am hoping to purchase a Gigabyte P55A-UD6 Motherboard with an i5-750 CPU, a Corsair 850TX PSU and Crucial DDR3 memory.

I have been looking at GTX 470 and Radeon HD5850 GPUs but am unsure of what one and what manufacturer card I should buy.

Please help.

A PCIe x16 card fits a PCIe x16 slot. A PCIe x16 lot hosts a PCIe x16 card. Also called PCI-Express.
m
l
October 31, 2010 5:23:56 PM

Cheers guys!

And Mr. Dokk, I am getting a Lian-Li PCK62.

Also, what brand (EVGA, MSI, Giagabyte and what-not) of GPU are usually the best? Especially for my range.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2010 5:37:12 PM

Trollems said:
Cheers guys!

And Mr. Dokk, I am getting a Lian-Li PCK62.

Also, what brand (EVGA, MSI, Giagabyte and what-not) of GPU are usually the best? Especially for my range.
They're usually identical, you should choose based on price and warranty.
m
l
!