What would you do with this?

Littlefrog

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
This is a reverse question from the usual "evaluate my build." If this were your build what would the task be? What changes to make it better or make it cheaper but just as good? I suppose you could call this "reverse design" I have a lot of complex tasks to do with this but no gaming. I did a lot of research and questioning to get here but basically I am out of my depth as far as any integrated knowledge of building a system is concerned. So if this were yours what is your goal?

Many, many thanks.

Asus P8PA67 Pro Ver 1.0 Motherboard
i5 3.3 GHz CPU
16 Gigs DDR5 RAM
NVIDA GeForce GTX Ti Video Card
850 Watt PSU
120 Gig SSD
1 T HD
Big case
Lots of cooling
64 Bit Win 7 Pro
CD/DVD Good quality

mr_flappypants

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
16GB of (DDR3?) RAM! Wow, you must be into some serious compiling or computing (what kind of work do you do just out of professional curiosity?).

To answer your question, the GTX Ti takes 170W. Assuming even a 30% error in that... thats an extra 51W. Not sure 850W is what you need unless of course you are looking to expand this system in the future. With only 2HD, lots of cooling and that proc you could lower your power down by a minimum of 100W I would imagine. Try newegg's PSU calc for a ballpark estimate of what you would need.

The main reason for getting that much RAM would be to do photo editing (photoshop) on really large files, or video encoding, the CUDA in the GTX Ti would help with that. For video encoding, I would consider a second 1tb HDD, in raid 1. or a third and go raid5.

^good points.. But do not use newegg's PSU calculator.. It is crap.. Use the underlying link instead -

www.antec.outervision.com/

Also, am not sure with the ver. 1.0 tag on the motherboard.. Dint the first batch of the P67 boards have some chipset issues..!!

It doesn't make sense --- for pretty much anything.

You can't start with 16GB of DDR5 (at least until 2019 ??)

There is no such thing as an Asus P8PA67.

Why do you need a 120GB SSD for 'Complex' tasks?

850w PSU ? (already shot down)

I don't don't where you think a GTX 560 is going to take you -- a couple of GTS 450s will take it in folding.

And I suspect an x6 Thuban will take that 2500k in highly parallel/threaded tasks.

mr_flappypants

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

He did say he wanted to do large file photo/video editing. If he was storing these files directly on an SSD sure you'd get a nice speedup. If these procedures required any intensive HDD I/O then I would assume that would be the reason why.

Touche on the mobo.

Good catch on the DDR5...I thought it was a typo! same as the MoBo. :pt1cable:

Unless your video software is CUDA-enabled, you don't need a powerful GPU like a GTX560 Ti if you aren't playing games. A GT430 or HD5450 would be sufficient.
You won't need a huge case and lots of cooling. Unless you plan on a high overclock (ill-advised for a business machine that must remain rock-solid stable), even the stock CPU fan will do.
And, all of that will run on a 380W Antec Earthwatts, which is currently only $40; it won't break a sweat with that system, even if you add a couple more drives to it.
If noise is a concern, go for low-speed 120mm fans for case cooling. Most of the Rosewill cases use fans like that.

Littlefrog

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

You are correct on the mobo. The A was a type. The correct designation is P8P67