Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How big of a power supply do you really need?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Downgrade
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
March 24, 2011 3:55:55 PM

I'm building a cheap gaming rig for around $700, and I'm gonna be running a HIS Radeon HD 6850 and an AMD phenom x2 black edition 555 dual core that will unlock to 3-4 cores. What's the best way to determine how big of a power supply I need? Like I said I'm on a budget, and I'll downgrade the power supply wattage to downgrade the price :sol: 
Is the amount of power needed by a power supply determined by the required wattage of the GFX card combined with the required wattage of the processor? Thanks

More about : big power supply

a b ) Power supply
March 24, 2011 4:00:04 PM

no more then 400 watts will be fine
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 91 ) Power supply
March 24, 2011 7:16:36 PM
a c 91 ) Power supply
March 24, 2011 7:17:00 PM

Best solution

a c 165 ) Power supply
March 24, 2011 7:39:56 PM

gamerx456 said:
I'm building a cheap gaming rig for around $700, and I'm gonna be running a HIS Radeon HD 6850 and an AMD phenom x2 black edition 555 dual core that will unlock to 3-4 cores. What's the best way to determine how big of a power supply I need? Like I said I'm on a budget, and I'll downgrade the power supply wattage to downgrade the price :sol: 
Is the amount of power needed by a power supply determined by the required wattage of the GFX card combined with the required wattage of the processor? Thanks


1. plenty of people buy phenom II x2 to unlock and plenty of them come crying to this forum when they don't.
2. benchmark reviews will often state how hungry a spec system with that video card will be during a stress test (non real world test) or gaming (real world). if your PSU can cover the stress test with a little head room then you are fine. luckily the AMD 6850 is very power efficient. see below. like obsidian stated a 400w PSU with most of its power on the 12v rail is plenty of power.
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Chipset Drivers: Intel 9.1.1.1015 (Intel)
Hard Disk: OCZ Summit (120GB)
Memory: Patriot Viper DDR3-1333 3 x 2GB (7-7-7-20



3. the amount of power needed is determined by all the hardware in the PC that require power.
4. make sure you purchase a quality PSU and not just the cheapest 400-500w you see. currently the antec earthwatt models are on sale and the 500w unit has plenty of power for your build and future upgrades. its a fantastic deal @ $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

budget option at $35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Share
a b ) Power supply
March 24, 2011 8:52:34 PM

I'd recommend getting a 600W PSU simply because of your plans to unlock the 555. It will automatically want more power, and I feel that playing it safe with a higher wattage PSU would be a benefit for you. Plus the upgrade factor down the road.
m
0
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
March 24, 2011 9:00:34 PM

jockey said:
I'd recommend getting a 600W PSU simply because of your plans to unlock the 555. It will automatically want more power, and I feel that playing it safe with a higher wattage PSU would be a benefit for you. Plus the upgrade factor down the road.


your failure to understand CPU power is sad and funny at the same time. an unlocked phenom II will not need that much extra power, not even close (around 20-30w)

m
0
l
March 25, 2011 2:57:28 AM

Best answer selected by gamerx456.
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 2:58:41 AM

ct1615 said:
1. plenty of people buy phenom II x2 to unlock and plenty of them come crying to this forum when they don't.
2. benchmark reviews will often state how hungry a spec system with that video card will be during a stress test (non real world test) or gaming (real world). if your PSU can cover the stress test with a little head room then you are fine. luckily the AMD 6850 is very power efficient. see below. like obsidian stated a 400w PSU with most of its power on the 12v rail is plenty of power.
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Chipset Drivers: Intel 9.1.1.1015 (Intel)
Hard Disk: OCZ Summit (120GB)
Memory: Patriot Viper DDR3-1333 3 x 2GB (7-7-7-20
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph3987/33245.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph3987/33246.png

3. the amount of power needed is determined by all the hardware in the PC that require power.
4. make sure you purchase a quality PSU and not just the cheapest 400-500w you see. currently the antec earthwatt models are on sale and the 500w unit has plenty of power for your build and future upgrades. its a fantastic deal @ $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

budget option at $35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



That benchmark testing really helped :) 
m
0
l
!