Sign in with
Your question

HP dx6120 upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
March 24, 2011 4:37:21 PM

Hi guys. I have a desktop right now but it's a bit outdated. I want to upgrade the processor but I don't know which processor to get and if it's compatible with my motherboard. Anyway,

1) I have a HP dx6120 mt
2) Its motherboard is Hewlett-Packard 09CCh
3) My current processor is Intel Pentium 4 519K (Package: Socket 775 LGA)

I was wondering if you can help me find the best possible processor to upgrade to and if it can handle processors like (core 2 duos, dual cores, or quad cores). Thanks guys and I'm hoping for some answers soon! :) Do i just replace the processor and I'm done? Sorry it's my first time dealing with this kind of stuff.

I found this site with a list of Core2Duos with LGA 775. Which of these processors can i use?
http://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp...

More about : dx6120 upgrade

March 25, 2011 1:39:13 PM

TTT. I really need some answer guys :( 
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 2:31:30 PM

most mechanics dont recommend you upgrade a factory set pc.Hp is also factory setting most of its pcs so that it can prevent people from damaging the products they sell.Considering they have a warranty they will try their best not to let you have any possible chances of upgrading.

That way they save money from repairing your computer.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 2:41:34 PM

But here are your available upgrades and type of socket:
Socket type: S1
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL series - TL-64 (2.2 GHz) Max
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 292 V Motherboard
March 25, 2011 2:56:50 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Contact to HP or try to find the reference of your rig in the HP's web page, most OEM manufactures won't give you the option to upgrade the CPU.
March 25, 2011 8:40:00 PM

@zulfadhli: Thanks for the feedback man! I think my warranty already expired a long time ago. Are you sure my motherboard can handle that processor? I just wanna make sure cause I don't wanna waste money. :p 

@SAINT19: I already tried those options but they aren't that helpful. There wasn't any information about my desktop in their webpage.
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 292 V Motherboard
March 25, 2011 8:51:57 PM

horcrux said:
@zulfadhli: Thanks for the feedback man! I think my warranty already expired a long time ago. Are you sure my motherboard can handle that processor? I just wanna make sure cause I don't wanna waste money. :p 

@SAINT19: I already tried those options but they aren't that helpful. There wasn't any information about my desktop in their webpage.

:lol:  I suggest you read a little more about the mobo that you have, or even, take a look of your initial thread.

Your current CPU is an Intel Pentium 4, that means that you mobo ONLY support Intel CPUs and NOT AMD CPUs as zulfadhli suggest.
March 25, 2011 9:38:56 PM

Haha! Sorry man! It's really my first time upgrading so I don't know those kinds of stuff.
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 292 V Motherboard
March 26, 2011 3:36:53 AM

Don't worry, we are here to help you.

The Turion suggested by zulfadhli doesn't work in your mobo because is from different manufacturer (AMD), your mobo and all mobos only can work with one manufacturer CPU (Intel or AMD) and in your case your mobo only works with Intel.

I'd suggest your something that maybe isn't the best answer for you. Save your money until you can get a full new build, upgrading the CPU (if it's possible) only will give you a little more lifespan with not a big performance increase.
March 26, 2011 12:36:58 PM

Yeah you're right! Thanks for the help saint, you've been really helpful! (:
!