Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading processor on my eMachines et1331g-03w

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2010 4:46:15 PM

Hey everyone i just joined this site because i had a question about upgrading some things on my computer and everyone seemed to be pretty helpfull on here.

Well here is a link to my computer it is a eMachine et1331g-03w
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I got this computer last Christmas and so far i haven't had a problem with it except i would like to upgrade my Processor. I already added a video card without any problems.

I would like to upgrade to a quadcore if possible here is the one i was looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I was reading up on this and i know my motherboard must have the right wattage to support it and wasn't sure how to find this out since i couldn't find much specs on the motherboard itself.

So my question is would it be possible to upgrade to that processor or something similar?
And if the motherboard is not compatible with that processor would it be possible to upgrade the motherboard on that computer?

Any help is much appreciated! :) 

Happy new years!

December 30, 2010 5:30:23 PM

http://support.gateway.com/emachines/desktop/2009/emach...

Per the tech notes on your midtower, it was likely built pre-X3/X4 compatible, meaning, it is likely safe to assume your MB will NOT support any cpus over 65 watts capacity...

Best bet is to live with it for now (X2/2.7 Ghz is not really 'slow', it's just not an i3 or i5), build entire new machine
December 30, 2010 6:09:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know if it would be possible to upgrade the motherboard on this computer?
like take all the parts just plug into new motherboard?
i would def upgrade my power suply i just dont want to have to pay for new drives operating system all that.
Related resources
December 30, 2010 6:12:25 PM

if it was a manufacturer made motherboard, you will probably need a new operating system even if you can carry everything else over.
December 30, 2010 6:27:48 PM

Alright thanks for the help!

Hate how they do that you buy a comp with an os but dont give you a copy i mean i paid for it right?!
December 30, 2010 6:32:17 PM

yeah, a lot of times the preloads are proprietary to the mother board and won't work on another, though I've cross matched drives with computers of same model and booted them that way. (this worked with older HP's using early XP service packs, but may not any more).
December 30, 2010 6:38:38 PM

Ah i see so what would be my best bet if im looking to upgrade my processor id like to get a quadcore I have a video card already so looks like id just need a new motherboard and operating system. I was going to try frys electronics because theres one by my house but if i can find a good deal on newegg or something i'll do that.

The main reason i want to upgrade my processor is because i want to improve my fps while gaming and when i check my memory is fine my video card seems to be handling fine but my processor always shows up at 80%-100% so i get some lag. it seems i have alot of processes up but im always afraid to end some of them because im not sure what they do. the mojority of them seem to be things that windows is running.

Any advice?

December 30, 2010 6:43:55 PM

you may be able to fix that by simply upgrading your system ram. What ram do you have in it now? If you can increase the performance of the computer in a minimal fashion you can save up and buy a much better rig later. Try checking www.crucial.com and seeing if you have a maxed ram profile. If not that will help a ton.
December 30, 2010 6:45:05 PM

also before you go nuts, are you running a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system? If you are running 32 the max you can put in is 4 gigs (about 3.5 will get used).
December 30, 2010 6:46:05 PM

64 bit the computer came with 6 gigs of mem
December 30, 2010 6:48:27 PM

# Chipset: nVidia GeForce 6150SE
# Graphics Support: PCI Express x16
# Maximum Memory: 8192MB
# Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2)
# Standard Memory: 6144MB removable
# USB Support: 2.x Compliant
December 30, 2010 6:49:00 PM

so looks like i can get about 2 more gigs think that will improve fps in games?
December 30, 2010 7:49:29 PM

I'd try that, you also should look at the type of ram in it, the lower the latency numbers the better it is. the numbers should look something like this 7-7-7-20. You can go nuts on overclocking ram with the advice they have in other sections on the forum, but I'd start there.
!