Replacement Power Switch (thingie?)?

Aiwin

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I own a compaq presario v2000. My problem is that it fries the tip of any power cord I connect to it, after a few hours of use. I've been through a few power cords in testing this issue. I want to identify the part of the motherboard, at the rear where the power cord connects, and I'd like to figure out how to replace it. I've disassembled the chassis... it looks like this piece is soldered onto the board. I can't find the piece listed among the parts catalog for the machine, though.

Does anyone know how a replacement piece can be identified/obtained for this machine? Secondly, is it reasonable to expect that replacing this part would solve my problem? I know it's an old machine but over time I've updated many of its parts, including the battery. It's a good, solid machine - apart from this one deal-breaking issue.

Thanks in advance for your input!

- Adam

Solution
If you are lucky you can go to an electronics store and find a similar part that would work.... but probably would not be able to find it....

Try to Google 'DC Jack' for the compaq v2000... I just did and it came up with a lot of results.... only cost like $10... but you would need to be able to solder... Not to hard, it "should" fix the issue... but more likely it is a fault in the motherboard not the DC jack itself. Try the DC Jack, then replace the motherboard if it still won't work.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
If you are lucky you can go to an electronics store and find a similar part that would work.... but probably would not be able to find it....

Try to Google 'DC Jack' for the compaq v2000... I just did and it came up with a lot of results.... only cost like $10... but you would need to be able to solder... Not to hard, it "should" fix the issue... but more likely it is a fault in the motherboard not the DC jack itself. Try the DC Jack, then replace the motherboard if it still won't work.

Solution

Aiwin

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Thanks! I found the jack easily - I just didn't know what to call it. I'll order one and give it a try.

Note: this is the second HP machine I've owned, and both have had this same issue.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS