Laptop connected to tv, no sound from tv

monsters

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hello, I have used a VGA cable and 3.5 audio jack for sound. Sound comes from the Laptop only, tried going in to control panel/sound but no real joy with anything in there.

Please help

What did you conenct to the TV? If you only have the VGA cable connnected you won't get any sound from that. You need to connect the audio output jack of the laptop to the TV Audio IN jack that is on the same input selector as the video.

Is the video in on the same channel as the audio in? Home audio equipment may have issues reading the signal strength that the laptop puts out, and vice-versa. I once tried to hook up my nice Logitech 4.1 speakers to my TV output, got very very low sound even at high volume.

If you have the audio out connected to the TV, the laptop should have no sounds at that point, is that the case or are you still hearing audio from the laptop? Your audio out jack may be faulty, does it work with PC speakers or headphones?

monsters

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
When I originally plugged it in there was sound from the tv but very quiet, since then no sound.
I have no idea about channels etc??

The audio jack works with headphones.

Not a lot of help am I - lol

The TV video and audio are connected in a pairs. That way when you swap to the DVD, you don't hear the sound from the TV and get the picture from the DVD. So if you connect the laptop to the VGA input, you need to swap the video signal to that input, lets call it Input 3. The audio connection also needs to be connected to that Input 3. If you have the audio jack from the laptop conncted to some random input, you won't get the sound. The issue with low sound is what I was talking about also, the TV may not be able to amplify the output level of your laptop enough. If you want to use the laptop and the TV, you may need to buy some speakers to hook up to the laptop. If you don't care much about the sound, some $30 speakers should have enough output to listen to in a room. Just don't expect to be talking loudly over it, but you can fill a full room with the audio from some cheaper speakers.