Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on a case for my sandy bridge box

Last response: in Components
March 24, 2011 7:09:59 PM

I'm looking for a mid tower with usb3 on the front and quiet case fans. Very basic. Even hitting 2/3 criteria is worthy of a mention IMO.

The HAF X is my favorite right now, but I'm hoping to find a mid tower that I like as much.

If the Storm Sniper had USB 3 on the front I would without a doubt choose that one.

The Fractal Define R3 and the Silverstone Raven and Fortress series are all pretty cool cases as well.

If you guys know of any cases you feel are on par with those ones, please let me know!

Also, Newegg is the only place I know of to browse cases. Is there another site I might take a look at a few on?

Any input is appreciated!

Also, for anyone curious, these are the parts I'm leaning toward putting in my box right now: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/publicWishDetail.asp...
March 24, 2011 7:13:58 PM

Which motherboard are you using? You can buy 5.25" front panels with USB-3 ports, as seen included with the Gigabyte G1-Killer series.

Click here to see.

A couple more trusted computing-hardware sites based in the USA:
Tiger Direct
MicroCentre
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2011 7:41:30 PM

Omni, it's an MSI ATX P67 board. I added a link to the OP.

Jack, that seems like a nice case for the price. Is the top the ideal place for the larger fan? I figured a larger fan on the front would give more airflow, but I guess two fans try to make up for that.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 24, 2011 8:44:50 PM

I like the HAF X also, but the downside to its' front USB 3.0 ports is that they are designed (with the provided cabling) to plug into to the rear ports on a USB 3 mobo, not into an onboard 3.0 mobo header. Reading the specs. on your MSI mobo, I assume that you are aware that you'll need to route the 3.0 cables out of the rear of the case to plug them into the rear ports of the mobo.
m
l
March 24, 2011 10:05:11 PM

I thought I read somewhere that they would provide cables for the usb3 header as well but I can't seem to find where. If that's the case I'm leaning away from the HAF. Thinking about buying a front panel port like Omni described and getting a mid tower at this point though.
m
l
a c 136 ) Power supply
March 25, 2011 1:35:47 PM

togna said:
Jack, that seems like a nice case for the price. Is the top the ideal place for the larger fan? I figured a larger fan on the front would give more airflow, but I guess two fans try to make up for that.

Fans work great though I have not used the V3, it looks the same as original 902. Build in speed control rocks.

Cooling System

120mm Fans
1 x 120mm blue LED TriCool exhaust rear fan
2 x 120mm blue LED special black intake front fans with front speed control

200mm Fans
1 x 200mm blue LED "Big Boy" À TriCo exhaust top fan

m
l
!