Cd-rw/DVD drive - replace or repair?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 11:45:36 PM

The DVD drive in my Averatec 3200 is playing up. The CD-RW component still
functions, but it can no longer read DVDs. I gather that there are separate
lasers for reading CDs and DVDS, so I guess the DVD laser is stuffed. While
it's only about 8 months old I'm not in Canada where I purchased it, so will
have to pay to get it repaired even though it's still under warranty.

Does anyone know whether repairing is a viable option, or is it generally
cheaper just to get a new drive? As I have since bought an external DVD
burner, I don't think it's worth spending a lot to get it repaired, though
it would be nice to be able to play DVDs on the road, and the external drive
is a bit too bulky to cart around.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 11:45:37 PM

Repairing the drive is generally not a viable option, the normal
approach is simply to replace it.

Caitlin wrote:

> The DVD drive in my Averatec 3200 is playing up. The CD-RW component still
> functions, but it can no longer read DVDs. I gather that there are separate
> lasers for reading CDs and DVDS, so I guess the DVD laser is stuffed. While
> it's only about 8 months old I'm not in Canada where I purchased it, so will
> have to pay to get it repaired even though it's still under warranty.
>
> Does anyone know whether repairing is a viable option, or is it generally
> cheaper just to get a new drive? As I have since bought an external DVD
> burner, I don't think it's worth spending a lot to get it repaired, though
> it would be nice to be able to play DVDs on the road, and the external drive
> is a bit too bulky to cart around.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 11:45:37 PM

Caitlin wrote:
> The DVD drive in my Averatec 3200 is playing up. The CD-RW component
> still functions, but it can no longer read DVDs. I gather that there
> are separate lasers for reading CDs and DVDS, so I guess the DVD
> laser is stuffed. While it's only about 8 months old I'm not in
> Canada where I purchased it, so will have to pay to get it repaired
> even though it's still under warranty.
> Does anyone know whether repairing is a viable option, or is it
> generally cheaper just to get a new drive? As I have since bought an
> external DVD burner, I don't think it's worth spending a lot to get
> it repaired, though it would be nice to be able to play DVDs on the
> road, and the external drive is a bit too bulky to cart around.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

Try cleaning the lens with a cotton tip and isopropyl alcohol, very
gently. Otherwise http://www.newegg.com usually has the NEC 6500A five
inch slimline drive, one of the best dual-layer DVD writers.

a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 11:36:19 AM

> Caitlin wrote:
>> The DVD drive in my Averatec 3200 is playing up. The CD-RW component
>> still functions, but it can no longer read DVDs. I gather that there
>> are separate lasers for reading CDs and DVDS, so I guess the DVD
>> laser is stuffed. While it's only about 8 months old I'm not in
>> Canada where I purchased it, so will have to pay to get it repaired
>> even though it's still under warranty.
>> Does anyone know whether repairing is a viable option, or is it
>> generally cheaper just to get a new drive? As I have since bought an
>> external DVD burner, I don't think it's worth spending a lot to get
>> it repaired, though it would be nice to be able to play DVDs on the
>> road, and the external drive is a bit too bulky to cart around.
>>
>> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Try cleaning the lens with a cotton tip and isopropyl alcohol, very
> gently. Otherwise http://www.newegg.com usually has the NEC 6500A five
> inch slimline drive, one of the best dual-layer DVD writers.

When the drive is open I can only see one laser (or at least what I see is
one small glass 'bubble') - I've tried cleaning that, without effect. I'm
guessing the DVD laser is someone internally that I can get at though?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 11:36:20 AM

Caitlin wrote:
>> Caitlin wrote:
>>> The DVD drive in my Averatec 3200 is playing up. The CD-RW component
>>> still functions, but it can no longer read DVDs. I gather that there
>>> are separate lasers for reading CDs and DVDS, so I guess the DVD
>>> laser is stuffed. While it's only about 8 months old I'm not in
>>> Canada where I purchased it, so will have to pay to get it repaired
>>> even though it's still under warranty.
>>> Does anyone know whether repairing is a viable option, or is it
>>> generally cheaper just to get a new drive? As I have since bought an
>>> external DVD burner, I don't think it's worth spending a lot to get
>>> it repaired, though it would be nice to be able to play DVDs on the
>>> road, and the external drive is a bit too bulky to cart around.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts appreciated.
>>
>> Try cleaning the lens with a cotton tip and isopropyl alcohol, very
>> gently. Otherwise http://www.newegg.com usually has the NEC 6500A
>> five inch slimline drive, one of the best dual-layer DVD writers.
>>

> When the drive is open I can only see one laser (or at least what I
> see is one small glass 'bubble') - I've tried cleaning that, without
> effect. I'm guessing the DVD laser is someone internally that I can
> get at though?

What you see is the lens. There is nothing internal that is
user-serviceable as Barry writ.