Network connection not detected

da324

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hello,
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that was given to me as a spare for our kid's. It's completely wireless, but I can't get it to link up to my wireless router. I went to the control panel and clicked network connections and there are none listed. This PC was bought and used for one month, but was then unhooked and has been dormat for about 2 years. I've tried downloading drivers and software using a portable mini drive from my other pc, but I'm not getting anything. Shoud I take out the wireless NIC card and try plugging it back in with hope of the PC recognizing the new hardware and go from there? I'm sure it needs updated drivers and software since it sat so long, but I haven't been able to load any with success? Any ideas are apprectiated. Thanks!

What does Device Manager say about the wireless device and, for that matter, the ethernet adapter as no network devices are showing anywhere? For both devices, click the Properties then Details and note the four characters after VEN and those after DEV then input those characters in the appropriate boxes at http://www.pcidatabase.com and you should be led to the manufacturers' driver sites.[/#000ff]

da324

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
In my Device Manager it doesn't have a tab for a wireless device, however, under the Other Devices Tab, there are question marks by the Ethernet controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller. After reviewng them it says no drivers are installed (code 28). Can I load the drivers with a mini drive on one PC and transfer them to the one that needs drivers? I also have the Dell Resource Disk for Utilities and Drivers, but I didn't see where to load anything. It was just a bunch of info. Thanks!

Maybe the wireless device isn't switched on and when it is, it will appear on the list and it will also require a driver. Does the Dell CD not autorun with a setup.exe file? If not, it's worth trying to update the driver, tick "specific location" and point to that CD. Alternatively, go to Dell's website and input the Service Tag which is printed on the case somewhere, and you will find the drivers for the particular equipment they put in that system. Pop them on to a memory stick and when they unzip, they'll include an executable file so one click does it all form then on.[/#000ff]