Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from 280 to a 480

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2010 4:05:39 PM

My current system is a E8500 core 2 duo would it make since to go to a 480 or would my cpu slow it down? I plan on upgrading my cpu eventually but i was thinking the gfx card would give me more performance right away.

More about : upgrading 280 480

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2010 4:08:04 PM

SyCovenom said:
My current system is a E8500 core 2 duo would it make since to go to a 480 or would my cpu slow it down? I plan on upgrading my cpu eventually but i was thinking the gfx card would give me more performance right away.

I recommend against the 480 in all accounts. Better to get a 470, which itself has much better buys. Or you can wait for AMD 69xx coming in the middle of November. But in any event, to your question, what is your CPU clocked at? It shouldnt really slow it down, as CPU's generally arent the bottle neck in gaming.
m
l
October 31, 2010 4:15:39 PM

its clocked at a little over 3.0 ghz .... For a hundered more dollars i was thinking the 480 was worth it to me but ill look at the 470s im not really a ati/amd fan and my 280 is having problems so im needing to do it soon
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2010 4:19:57 PM

Whichever you choose, get one with good non-reference cooling (like the MSI Twin Frozr II). The significantly lower temperatures will help the card to live longer, consume less power, and overclock better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2010 4:22:45 PM

SyCovenom said:
its clocked at a little over 3.0 ghz .... For a hundered more dollars i was thinking the 480 was worth it to me but ill look at the 470s im not really a ati/amd fan and my 280 is having problems so im needing to do it soon

Are you a fan of dual card setups? AND BTW, ever since 6xxx came out from AMD and kinda put Nvidia in a less than favorable position, they have lowered prices, especially on the 470, which is now right around $260:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So that makes it quite a bit less expensive than the 480. However, like i said, id get the 6850 over the 470. Or the 6870 if you dont OC. Bad experiences are one thing, but just ignoring what would be a better card doesnt make sense IMO.
m
l
!