Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Not sure if PSU has two PCI-E outputs

Last response: in Components
March 24, 2011 9:50:25 PM

Hello,

I have an Earthwatts 650 that's about two years old. I am looking at a video card upgrade, to either the 460 or 560. Either way, I need two 6-pin PCI-E outputs from my PSU. According to Newegg, the EA650 has two, a 6-pin and a 6+2-pin. According to Antec, however, it just has a 6+2. I am hesitant to follow one or the other since my model is a couple years old, and maybe the product has changed since then? I do currently have an unused 6-pin connector that looks exactly like the 6-part of the 6+2, but it is not labeled, unlike the 6+2 cable, which says PCI-E. Could this be another PCI-E?

I feel kinda dumb asking this question, but I don't know a lot about PSUs. I tried searching around and educating myself in the stickied thread, but couldn't find anything definitive, though I have seen posts from people using the 650 in SLI/Crossfire.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if you need other information. I tried taking a picture, but I only have my awful camera phone and you can't see anything. But, I think it suffices to say that the unused 6-pin connector looks exactly like the PCI-E one, even down to the shapes of each pin (6-sided vs square).

More about : psu pci outputs

a c 140 ) Power supply
a c 263 U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 10:11:35 PM

Not to worry, the leads are keyed so that they can fit only where they are supposed to.

If the unused lead looks like a 6 pin, it is.

A quality 650w unit like antec will have two connectors.
m
l

Best solution

a c 1178 ) Power supply
a c 547 U Graphics card
March 25, 2011 3:46:52 AM

You should check the real Antec web page for the Antec EarthWatts 650:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjY=

All of the included connectors are shown here:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/connectors.php?ProdID=27650

There is 1 x 6 Pin PCI-E and 1 x 6+2 Pin PCI-E connector.
Related resources
March 25, 2011 3:51:58 AM

Great, thanks to both of you! I missed that list on the left side of Antec's page.
m
l
March 25, 2011 3:52:11 AM

Best answer selected by merv243.
m
l
!