Solved

Not sure if PSU has two PCI-E outputs

Hello,

I have an Earthwatts 650 that's about two years old. I am looking at a video card upgrade, to either the 460 or 560. Either way, I need two 6-pin PCI-E outputs from my PSU. According to Newegg, the EA650 has two, a 6-pin and a 6+2-pin. According to Antec, however, it just has a 6+2. I am hesitant to follow one or the other since my model is a couple years old, and maybe the product has changed since then? I do currently have an unused 6-pin connector that looks exactly like the 6-part of the 6+2, but it is not labeled, unlike the 6+2 cable, which says PCI-E. Could this be another PCI-E?

I feel kinda dumb asking this question, but I don't know a lot about PSUs. I tried searching around and educating myself in the stickied thread, but couldn't find anything definitive, though I have seen posts from people using the 650 in SLI/Crossfire.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if you need other information. I tried taking a picture, but I only have my awful camera phone and you can't see anything. But, I think it suffices to say that the unused 6-pin connector looks exactly like the PCI-E one, even down to the shapes of each pin (6-sided vs square).
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about outputs
  1. Not to worry, the leads are keyed so that they can fit only where they are supposed to.

If the unused lead looks like a 6 pin, it is.

A quality 650w unit like antec will have two connectors.
  2. Best answer
    You should check the real Antec web page for the Antec EarthWatts 650:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjY=

All of the included connectors are shown here:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/connectors.php?ProdID=27650

There is 1 x 6 Pin PCI-E and 1 x 6+2 Pin PCI-E connector.
  3. Great, thanks to both of you! I missed that list on the left side of Antec's page.
  4. Best answer selected by merv243.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards PCI Express Components Product