razaice

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Any opinions on which processor makes more sense? I plan to overclock whichever one I get. I'm having a hard time deciding if the 1100t is worth the extra $30. Since it's 100 mhz more stock, would it overclock higher?

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Phenom_II_X6_1100T_4.jpg

100MHz certainly isn't worth $30.

Any specific reasons for upgrade..? What is your primary use scenario with your PC..? As for the CPU's themselves, both are Black Editions and have the same manufacturing process, architecture and thermal design.. So both will have similar performance and overclocking potential.. Thus no point going for the 1100T if and when the 1090T is available for cheaper..

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
raidur is right about getting a 4 core processor instead of a six core processor for gaming ...

but don't go with the 955 .... grab the 975 .....i hear they are even coming out with a 980

razaice

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

Wow the 975 is 3.6 ghz stock. Didn't even notice that one. I might just have to buy that.

razaice

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

I do overclock, which has led me in the last hour to be considering between the 955 and the 965.

its not just a 30 usd difference.

they are the same chip just the 100t comes from a more efficient wafer.

meaning is should run at either lower volts and lower temps to get the same speed or the same volts and temps at higher speed.
if your particularly lucky, lower volts, temps and higher speed. you wont actually know till you get the sample.
you may find you dont actually see much benifit till you overclock it, then it should be able to go faster or be more stable with lower overall load temps. it may only be 1 or 2 degrees but that can be the difference you need if your running close to the thermal limits of the chip.

"OC's more' is a vague statement....; wondering wether the 1100T has more 'headroom' is likely the issue....

Both CPUs could top out at exactly 3.9 GHz, and it would still be true (but misleading to some) to say the 1090T 'OC's more', simply beause it started at a lower core clock. If both, however, have the same 3.8-4.0 GHz limit, most would choose the CPU that costs less....

THG's review of the 980BE showed it had no more headroom than any of it's predecessors, so hopes of 'better /more matured silicon process' quickly faded.