Your question
Solved

Data distribution in quad core

Last response: in CPUs
March 24, 2011 10:58:59 PM

Hello,Is the distribution of data to the cores in a quad core dependent on
a c 854 à CPUs
March 24, 2011 11:05:58 PM

The applications it is running! Some use one core others more and if you multitask then when running more than one application they will run on separate cores until all cores are used up and have to start dealing with more than one application.
m
l
March 24, 2011 11:40:17 PM

Thank you rolli for such a quick answer. It seems that my question got cut off on the end. It should have said " dependent on HT" I think I read something that said hyper threading controlled the distribution of data to the cores, and if the program was not...HT "compatible" it would just dump all data to one core. So from what you are saying: if I am running a video burning program, and that is all, 1 core will be working, and only 1. If this is true I guess I wasted my money. Thanks
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2011 11:51:12 PM

I just opened 3 browser windows, word doc, task manager, and am converting a movie to dvd, and task manager says I am using 50% of cpu. 1st 3 cores are all running at 50% and the 4th core is at about 75%. Is this the only way to make all the cores work? By the way my Core temp went from 85* to 117* Still running cooler than my old P4
m
l
March 24, 2011 11:57:43 PM

Quote:
your hardware is only as good as the software that runs it.

Now when we talk about heavily threaded applications we normally refer to ones like video editing eg Adobe Photoshop CS5 and other heavily cpu intensive tasks. Ht will look like a extra processor to the operating system. But in reality its just a bit of intel magic squeezing 2 threads through where normally one would been moved through. That's not the exact term just explained it to make it more understandable

I understood that to be the "old" bottleneck and HT got rid of it? I guess I did not quite understand what they were talking about between bottleneck and HT :( 
m
l
a c 854 à CPUs
March 24, 2011 11:58:18 PM

HT on intel cpu's allows cores to handle more 2 threads on the same core at the same time, therefore speeding up the computer. Do not forget that in the background you have the OS running on one core so that the video burning program can have a core for its work all by itself. As you are doing this burning you turn on your internet browser to post on Tom's and at the same time you are signed in on messenger, skype or...... and so on.
Theoretically it is very easy to get all cores working but they will not all be at 100% load.
m
l

Best solution

a c 194 à CPUs
March 24, 2011 11:58:34 PM

Larger heavier programs support multiple threads, if you run a good video encoding program it will use between 2 and 8 threads depending on the program and will spread them across the CPU, but most programs like your web browser, and office applications dont really stand a chance of loading up one core all the way by themself so they tend to be single threaded, your OS will automatically distribute them across a couple cores so there arent 3 single threaded processes running on core 0 while cores 1-3 are sitting there doing nothing.
March 25, 2011 12:00:56 AM

Quote:
what program are you using to convert it?

ConvertXtoDVD
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:03:23 AM

Quote:
no windows is your bankmanager and the threads is your clerks. It will try to shed the workload evenly. When I say evenly I mean computer tasks. That program might be using one core but windows and your other background programs will be used for the others. Those things you burn to disk. Do you edit it or do your encode it before you burn it?

Mostly I just ecode.
m
l
a c 194 à CPUs
March 25, 2011 12:07:20 AM

Move onto some modern encoding software, here are the specs for that
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Processor Intel Pentium III / AMD Athlon
(Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon XP or equivalent recommended)
512 MB RAM with Windows XP
1 GB RAM with Windows Vista
Hard disk drive with at least 4.3 Gbytes free
DVD Burner

When a PIII is minimum and a P4 is the recommended it tells me that they didnt even know what a dual core was yet so they certainly didnt plan for multiple threads, a modern encoding program would split it across the cores and do the job much faster and likely at significantly higher quality.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 12:12:03 AM

DVD Flick uses multiple threads and has a very easy to use interface.
Handbrake is awesome with many features but interface is somewhat complex
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:15:21 AM

hunter315 said:
Move onto some modern encoding software, here are the specs for that
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Processor Intel Pentium III / AMD Athlon
(Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon XP or equivalent recommended)
512 MB RAM with Windows XP
1 GB RAM with Windows Vista
Hard disk drive with at least 4.3 Gbytes free
DVD Burner

When a PIII is minimum and a P4 is the recommended it tells me that they didnt even know what a dual core was yet so they certainly didnt plan for multiple threads, a modern encoding program would split it across the cores and do the job much faster and likely at significantly higher quality.

Yes it looks like a trip to the store is in order! I hope the local store here, Best Buy, has some good programs. That is the biggest store we have here, anything bigger need to go on down to Tx. If not then will go on line and order! Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 12:29:59 AM

old man john said:
Yes it looks like a trip to the store is in order! I hope the local store here, Best Buy, has some good programs. That is the biggest store we have here, anything bigger need to go on down to Tx. If not then will go on line and order! Thanks

if your computer is modern (within 3 years) and has multiple cores
then use these programs which are free downloads

DVD Flick - good for converting avi/mkv/mp4 etc into to DVD movies
for playing on regular DVD players

http://www.dvdflick.net/

If you want something more powerful though more complicated then use
HandBrake again a free program to download which is mainly a format changer

http://handbrake.fr/

also there is Format Factory (media converter) which I like for quick jobs again a free download

http://www.formatoz.com/

Really no reason to pay for programs when there are many good freeware
open source software available

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 12:32:06 AM

If you really like the software you should donate to the developers :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 12:38:02 AM

I have tried almost all of them and those three are the best IMHO

Between hundreds of hours of home video and a 350 dvd collection I am ripping to hard drive most of my computer time is conversion/ripping/burning

I literally burn out dvd burners about every three months
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:41:02 AM

Quote:
sorry forgot this. Your cpu and gpu that you have?

Number of Logical Processors 4
Number of Physical Processors 1
CPU #1 AMD Phenom X4 9850
CPU Name AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor
CPU Code Name Agena
Vendor AuthenticAMD
Number of Bits 64
Instruction Set MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, x86-64, NX, VMX
Platform Name Socket AM2+ (940)
Revision DR-B3
Technology 65 nm
Original Clock 2500 MHz
Original System Clock 200 MHz
Original Multiplier 12.5
CPU Clock 2500 MHz
System Clock 200.0 MHz
HT Link 2000.0 MHz
Number of Cores 4
Core #1
Speed 1250.0 MHz
Multiplier 6.25
Core #2
Speed 1250.0 MHz
Multiplier 6.25
Core #3
Speed 1250.0 MHz
Multiplier 6.25
Core #4
Speed 1250.0 MHz
Multiplier 6.25
Virtual Technology Supported Yes
Hyper Threading Supported No
Cache
L1 Data Cache 4 x 64 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache 4 x 64 KBytes
L2 Cache 4 x 512 KBytes
L3 Cache 2048 KBytes

On Board
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Code Name RS780
Video Processor ATI display adapter (0x9610)
Technology 55 nm
Adapter DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
PCI ID 0x1002 / 0x9610 (ATI Technologies Inc / Radeon HD 3200 Graphics)
PCI sub ID 0x1043 / 0x82F1 (ASUSTeK Computer Inc)
Memory 256 MBytes
Memory Bus Width 32 bits
Dedicated Video Memory 252 MB (264802304)
Dedicated System Memory 0 MB (0)
Shared System Memory 2811 MB (-1347420160)
DirectX DirectX 9.0
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 12:43:12 AM

a solid cpu for encoding
will really be better with more modern software
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:49:39 AM

Quote:
your on xp 32bit?

How you going to feed your cpu and its 12mb cache on xp 32bit with 2gb ram? Your cpu need the data as quick as possible otherwise its going to wait which will make you wait which you will end up blaming it for being a slouched.

Add another 2gb->windows 7 64bit and watch your cpu getting its work delivered a bit faster if the app is 64bit
Oh its a Amd 9850 almost thought its the Q9xx from intel lol
That thing don't have ht. Its very old and bad slow stock from Amd getting beaten by the tripple core cpus of them

No, I have win7, 64 bit on computer with 8 gig DDR2 800
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 3:14:05 AM

old man john said:
No, I have win7, 64 bit on computer with 8 gig DDR2 800

A 2.5ghz Quad core with 8gbs of ram is plenty for encoding
With a newer mutthreaded encoding program you will see plenty of improvement.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 3:18:46 AM

old man john said:
Thank you rolli for such a quick answer. It seems that my question got cut off on the end. It should have said " dependent on HT" I think I read something that said hyper threading controlled the distribution of data to the cores, and if the program was not...HT "compatible" it would just dump all data to one core. So from what you are saying: if I am running a video burning program, and that is all, 1 core will be working, and only 1. If this is true I guess I wasted my money. Thanks

If HT is refering to Hyper Threading which is an Intel technique of running two threads on a core
then NO it doesnt control data distribution to cores.

If HT is referring to Hyper Transport which is AMDs way of the CPU communicating to the motherboard (simplistic explanation)
more details here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport
then YES data is carried onth HyperTransort link to the cores

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 11:01:57 AM

Quote:
those quads are on the slouched sites. Amd very old stock quads hence the extra 0 at the back
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/83?vs=21

So are you saying that a quad core with 8gb wouldnt be good fo encoding?!
Sure it might not be latest tech but it will do a nice job.
Not everybody can own 980x and 965 BE cpus

in comparison to a athlon x 2 or core2duo it is much
better
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:01:26 PM

Quote:
how much ram do you have?
That cpu don't have Hyperthreading btw

Yes, I had to re-look that up it is HyperTransport 3.0
and 8 gig Ram
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:09:41 PM

Quote:
those quads are on the slouched sites. Amd very old stock quads hence the extra 0 at the back
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/83?vs=21

Yes it is old, I just sat back and thought how old. I bought this a 1 1/2 ago, and the cpu was not new then, but the price was nice. I am not a gamer so it was a huge step up for me from a P4. Time just zips by, and in the computer world it is like the autobahn!
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:56:23 PM

king smp said:
If HT is refering to Hyper Threading which is an Intel technique of running two threads on a core
then NO it doesnt control data distribution to cores.

If HT is referring to Hyper Transport which is AMDs way of the CPU communicating to the motherboard (simplistic explanation)
more details here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport
then YES data is carried onth HyperTransort link to the cores

I just read up on HyperTransporting. I now know where my FSB went!!! I will say in reading the paper, if I am to fully understand just what the paper is saying…I will have a 4 year degree in something! I will take it apart piece by piece and learn all I can. I think I have opened a big can of worms now, but what the heck I have the time to read, just hope I have the brain to understand.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 3:37:17 PM

old man john said:
I just read up on HyperTransporting. I now know where my FSB went!!! I will say in reading the paper, if I am to fully understand just what the paper is saying…I will have a 4 year degree in something! I will take it apart piece by piece and learn all I can. I think I have opened a big can of worms now, but what the heck I have the time to read, just hope I have the brain to understand.

Careful I have gotten lost with Wikipedia links in articles
Look up one thing and end up 4 links deep
Of course when it is something you enjoy learning about
then it is easy to lose track of time reading about it.

Of course the wifey always interrupts me to take out
the garbage or go grocery shopping!

It does help to think of data or electricity as water flowing through pipes

here is some other interesting articles

these are different benchmark websites

http://www.behardware.com/articles/778-2/giant-roundup-...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Pe...

little older but good info
http://forum.pcmech.com/computer-hardware/153070-guide-...

lots of free software
most of the time virus free though always scan file first

http://freewarefiles.com/

Enjoy!
m
l
April 1, 2011 4:27:24 AM

Best answer selected by old man john.
m
l
!