AMD ''Interlagos'' Bulldozer Benchmarks Leaked

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Bulldozer-Interlagos-Phoronix-Test-Suite-Benchmark-16-core,12445.html

Interesting but I will lay some up front stuff to avoid stupid flaming and /or fighting:

1. This is 32 BD cores compared to 4 SB and 6 Nehalem cores. So its not ANY indication as to how well Zambezi (4-8 core BD units) will perform against current Intel stuff.

2. The clock speed is low but thats normal for AMD when they intro more cores into the server market. They always start off with low and move up higher where Intel replicates its desktop side in clock speed. Does not indicate that BD wont be able to clock higher.

Overall, i think its a pure BS benchmark. No idea why they would even think of comparing 4 cores 8 threads to 32 cores but who am I to disagree with them?

Remember these are specifically the server CPUs, which is why its two 16 core Interlagos chips.

Desktop will have up to 8 cores codenamed Zambezi. It is supposed to be released in June of this year but no hard date has been given, so its still not a 100%.

I would like to see how Interlagos performs against Xeons, specifically 2 Nehalem EX CPUs vs two of these. With that we could see if a 4 core i7 could compete with a 8 core BD unit.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Anytime anyone posts a thread about Bulldozer... a Mod here (who is an AMD fan) rains on our parade and locks it (even if there is no arguing) making the claim that we "enthusiasts" cannot "speculate/be enthused" about upcoming products. I'm almost tempted to report him to his superiors.

In other words... this thread is likely to get locked.

Where psycho lol not 4 beats 8 its 4 beats 32 looool

In a situation where you can not thread well, 4 fast cores will almost always beat 32 slow cores, especially when the 4 core solution has a better IPC anyways...

The fact AMD didn't win across the board is a bit troubling, frankly, since PC software is much harder to thread then server software [which has been optimized for multiple CPU's for decades].

Unfortunately, performance information (good or bad, promising or not) is pretty meaningless without price information to go with it. Oh well, the wait goes on.

Edit: the fact that AMD didn't "win across the board" comes as no surprise, even though they won one test by a substantial margin. Their architecture looks sufficiently different from the tried-and-true that I rather suspect we're going to see the intended use make a much bigger difference when deciding which CPU to choose. It is possible that AMD will own the blade-server market with their latest generation (it looks like you can run a LOT of VMs with Bulldozer; can you say "cloud?"), while yielding even the low-margin desktop. This isn't what I want to see (I think "cloud" computing is generally a really bad idea for the mainstream), but may be what AMD wants. We'll see.

I suspect the thread will not get locked if folks stay on topic and cut the BS.

This would be BS.

Well Intel does have "Cloud" specific CPUs. It was the 48 core they developed and sent out to reserchers that was based on Terascale:

scc-h-wafer-sm.jpg

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/183653/intel_48core_singlechip_cloud_computer_improves_power_efficiency.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/48-core-processor-copper-ridge-multicore-hyperthreading,10482.html

Will be interesting to see how they compete.

Can't hate Intel for that. AMDs K10 help them back a bit as did their purchase of ATI.

talking about intel and cloud. Mcafee Antivirus with a internet connection scored deep in the 90s. When the internet disappeared so did its anti malware abilities. Can see where's intel aiming for

I still am pretty much anti- McAffe, Norton, Trend Micro etc. Even if Intel owns them they are useless bloated software that doesn't do its job.

Too many PCs have I seen with that stuff on it with major viruses that McAffe will only see when MSE/MBam/SAS find it.

Back on topic, there are a lot of benchmarks I want to see BD on. But mainly I want a fair comparison. No Opteron dual socket vs desktop Core i7 single socket.