WinXPProSP3 more than 4GB RAM

dreamerman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hi to all. I have a dual core desktop that can go up to 8GB RAM. DDR2 RAMs are getting scarce and I thought maybe I should grab some now. I know that 32 bit Win XP Pro can only support just under 4GB RAM but I hear there are apps out there that can help WinXP utilise excess memory such as eboostr. Review articles seems to suggest eboostr works but does it really? I tried the beta version using USB but can't really say I see any improvement. If I upgrade to 8GB RAM, I potentially have 4.5GB to use for eboostr. Anyone have any comments?

dreamerman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

Does it only help with startup time?

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
i would not bother with any of those software "BOOST YOUR SPEED" programs

at the end of they day they all work ontop of windows. which is only able to address what it can (4gb in your case)

you can either purchase the x64 version of XP or get Win 7 Home Premimum x64 (my reccomendation)

dreamerman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

I think I will wait a bit longer for Win7 x64 to mature further. I hear Adobe Flash don't quiet work under Win7. I have been so comfortable with XP x68 that I most probably will use it until end of its life cycle (2014?).

dreamerman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I went ahead and bought 4x2GB Elite DDR2 800Mhz. These are getting pricey and rare as times moves on but I am keeping my PC for continuous use. At some stage (maybe when Win7ProSP2 x64 comes out) I will upgrade from XP x86. I am using eboost pro version and currently have "unused RAM" worth 4.7GB under Advanced Memory Cache. I can't honestly say my PC is any quicker 2 days ago when I had 3GB system RAM.