Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus dc'ed their oc 450?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 31, 2010 9:24:05 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

was hoping to play with one of these, i'm guessing the ftw will get to 925, but wanted to try and push that asus 925. wanted to see how those top end shader clocks effected some of the older mmos too. has anyone tested one of these maxxed cards on some of the older mmos? i was guessing they would benefit from the high clock speeds, but was concerned the drivers wouldnt be there.

More about : asus 450

a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 10:12:30 PM

Frizzo said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

was hoping to play with one of these, i'm guessing the ftw will get to 925, but wanted to try and push that asus 925. wanted to see how those top end shader clocks effected some of the older mmos too. has anyone tested one of these maxxed cards on some of the older mmos? i was guessing they would benefit from the high clock speeds, but was concerned the drivers wouldnt be there.


DOnt forget, with such a high factory OC, even if the card runs cool, it will be pushing up against its power limit (140-145W at load) of its single PCI-e connector and be very close to the power draw of a 768MB 460GTX.

This is more power thn a a stock 6850 and is significantly more than a stock 5770, which would still be close in performance.

Not a bad card, but Fermis eat up a lot of power as they OC, so keep that in mind.
m
0
l
October 31, 2010 10:16:38 PM

i appreciate that. i simply want to see how those super charged shader clocks push some older mmo games that dont take advantage of some of the new configurations. because those ati cards dont have the speed in the shader clocks.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 10:34:38 PM

Frizzo said:
i appreciate that. i simply want to see how those super charged shader clocks push some older mmo games that dont take advantage of some of the new configurations. because those ati cards dont have the speed in the shader clocks.


most reviews don't use mmo's as benchmarks since there are so many outside factors besides hardware that effect FPS. here are two OC GTS 450 in the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark, don't know if that will help you much.

m
0
l
October 31, 2010 10:42:02 PM

that wont help me much because im looking at the effect on older games. i thankyou for that good laugh though, since you mentioned ff xiv i went over to gamespot real quick and realized they just graded it, they gave it a 4.0 ??...im half laughing and half crying....being around as long as i have, never did i think id see the day a square enix final fantasy game gets rated below the great classic po'ed.

http://www.gamespot.com/3do/action/poed/index.html
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 11:00:42 PM

Also dont forget, older MMOs, WoW included, have game engines designed before the era of fully programmable shaders (pre 8 and HD 2000 series).

The only benefit that games like WoW gain from newer GPUs is the sheer graphical power, and even than, not a whole a lot.

Combine WoW with a 512MB 7950 GPU, and unless you push the game to the limit, you will not see much of an improvement with a newer gen GPU. WoW and older MMOs offload more rendering duties to the CPU than newer games do, thus they are more CPU bound.

My friends 955BE system with a geforce 250GTS runs a good deal quicker than my Athlon II X2 250 with a 5770, in both are systems, the GPU is overkill (at least at 1080p).
m
0
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 11:22:06 PM

Frizzo said:
that wont help me much because im looking at the effect on older games. i thankyou for that good laugh though, since you mentioned ff xiv i went over to gamespot real quick and realized they just graded it, they gave it a 4.0 ??...im half laughing and half crying....being around as long as i have, never did i think id see the day a square enix final fantasy game gets rated below the great classic po'ed.

http://www.gamespot.com/3do/action/poed/index.html



yeah its not a good game
m
0
l
!