Can't unscrew a screw from motherboard.

SPECOPx

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Hi,

I can't seem to unscrew one of the screws from my ATX motherboard. I got the other 8 unscrewed and taken out, but one just won't budge. I can not open my case from behind to try to take out the standoff. What Should I do? Any help will be appreciated.

Solution
Lay the case/mobo down on a solid flat surface,
support underneath the mobo tray by removing the side panel and positioning the mobo tray over a suitable height book, so it all 'sits' on the book
put the other screws back in reasonably tight to ease the pressure on the one sticky screw
push the screw driver down very firmly on the bad screw to increase the grip/torque,
the book underneath will take the extra force without bending your mobo/case
if this doesn't help then drilling is the way to go.
Moto
- Get a better screwdriver. If you have already stripped the screw head though...

- Drill into the case if you must to get access to the back of the MB tray, then drill out the standoff. Be careful about getting all the shavings cleaned up afterward. In fact remove every bit of hardware you can first. Obviously this carries risks.

Lay the case/mobo down on a solid flat surface,
support underneath the mobo tray by removing the side panel and positioning the mobo tray over a suitable height book, so it all 'sits' on the book
put the other screws back in reasonably tight to ease the pressure on the one sticky screw
push the screw driver down very firmly on the bad screw to increase the grip/torque,
the book underneath will take the extra force without bending your mobo/case
if this doesn't help then drilling is the way to go.
Moto

Solution

This is absolutely what I should have said, but assumed it would not be possible with whatever case you have. Good advice.

SPECOPx

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

Thanks worked, it got the screw loose enough that I was able to remove it with a pair of tweezers.