Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2011 8:05:09 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is this CPU out of date? I don't want to buy this CPU and then realize something else is already released. I dont really keep up with things like these, so if someone could let me know if I should wait for the next generation of cpu's to come out?

More about : amd phenom 840 2ghz

March 25, 2011 8:23:18 AM

This CPU is not out of date, it is a good budget quad core CPU, its main competitor is currently Intel Core i3 (you can read reviews about both).
There are CPUs that are better but more expensive than this, and as always, waiting for the next generation will give you a better deal.
Tell us what are you doing. Building a new PC? Upgrading the processor?
What will that PC be used for?
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 25, 2011 11:14:16 AM

Actually, the PhII 840 'Propus' has only been on the market since Jan or so BUT in the next few months there will be next-gen stuff arriving from AMD. The Bulldozer Zambezi on the 'enthusiast' side, and a CPU/GPU hybrid (Llano, a class of processor called the Fusion APU) for mainstream desktop and mobile.

The Fusion APUs take the 'Stars' CPU cores (from processors like the PhII 840) and combine them with a Radeon Redwood class graphics processor.

In 2012 AMD will replace the 'Stars' cores on the APU with Bulldozer cores.

There .... you are up-to-date. :D 

(and buy the PhII 840 --- but make sure you purchase a 'black-socket' AM3+ motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 (at the Egg for $102).

m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2011 2:24:04 AM

Wisecracker said:
Actually, the PhII 840 'Propus' has only been on the market since Jan or so BUT in the next few months there will be next-gen stuff arriving from AMD. The Bulldozer Zambezi on the 'enthusiast' side, and a CPU/GPU hybrid (Llano, a class of processor called the Fusion APU) for mainstream desktop and mobile.

The Fusion APUs take the 'Stars' CPU cores (from processors like the PhII 840) and combine them with a Radeon Redwood class graphics processor.

In 2012 AMD will replace the 'Stars' cores on the APU with Bulldozer cores.

There .... you are up-to-date. :D 

(and buy the PhII 840 --- but make sure you purchase a 'black-socket' AM3+ motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 (at the Egg for $102).

Thank you for the informative answer, but what is a "black-socket" AM3+ motherboard and why do I need to get this one instead of a just a AM3 board
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 26, 2011 3:59:45 AM

jaylim0512 said:
Thank you for the informative answer, but what is a "black-socket" AM3+ motherboard and why do I need to get this one instead of a just a AM3 board

AM3+ is the socket the next generation Bulldozer processors use, if you want to be able to upgrade to what should be a much better processor in the future without replacing your motherboard, you need AM3+.

Buy AM3, the best you can upgrade to will be a Phenom II X6.
Buy AM3+, you have access to the upcoming 4/6/8 core processors based on Bulldozer, plus it should continue to support future processors after that.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 26, 2011 12:45:00 PM

Newegg did not post the proper pics :pfff:  Here is the actual GB 870 AM3+ socket:

As the Ninja noted, the AM3+ black socket was devised to distinguish compatibility with BD Zambezi. The Fusion APUs require the new Hudson chipset ...

Presumably, the new 2012 APUs with BD cores will be compatible with Hudson motherboards but I can't verify that with 100% certainty.

If Asus is more yer thang they have announced certain AM3 motherboards to be forward-compatible with AM3+ processors with a BIOS update. AsRock has also announced several AM3+ motherboards, as has Micro-Star. At XS someone released the Foxxconn specs for AM3+ compliance but AFAIK there have been no specific board announcements.

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2011 12:47:20 PM

you could go for next generation SB.They re the best we have right now.But my bet is to wait for Zambezi and Socket 2011
m
l
!