RAM/i7-2600K compatibility

JustAddC9H13NO3

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I know this question has been asked (and consequently answered) a lot, but I can't seem to find an answer tailored to my scenario.

Long story short, I ordered the components for a new build that are slated to show up on Thursday--The problem children are as such:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM

The RAM I have listed is, what I believe, to be overclocked to 1.65v from factory. I just recently found out that the Sandy Bridge architecture is most happy when the RAM voltage is 1.5v [or if the voltage difference between the CPU I/O terminals and the Memory Voltage is less than 0.5V]; I'm assuming that the RAM will be fine as the 0.05V is somewhat negligible (but I could be incorrect).

Again, I haven't put the system together yet; if the voltage is going to affect stability that greatly, I'm not partial to sending the memory back and getting some lower voltage units.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :hello:

Solution
Recently put 2 identical systems together that (not by my choice) had 1.65v RAM to go with i7 2600K on Asus P8Z68 V Pro boards. From what I could see in the bios post build, the Asus UEFI BIOS automatically scales the voltage of the memory back to 1.5v. I was paranoid at the time, had heard many stories of CPUs being fried by high voltage memory, but I can vouch that both systems are flogged all day long encoding video and 3d rendering and neither has skipped a beat.

If you could change it easily I still consider doing it.
If the board posts, then I would lower the ram voltage to 1.5 and the speed to the highest default setting, even if it's slower than spec. If the system runs stable for awhile, then you can try overclocking the cpu to get your money's worth out of the ram.

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Recently put 2 identical systems together that (not by my choice) had 1.65v RAM to go with i7 2600K on Asus P8Z68 V Pro boards. From what I could see in the bios post build, the Asus UEFI BIOS automatically scales the voltage of the memory back to 1.5v. I was paranoid at the time, had heard many stories of CPUs being fried by high voltage memory, but I can vouch that both systems are flogged all day long encoding video and 3d rendering and neither has skipped a beat.

If you could change it easily I still consider doing it.

Solution