Sign in with
Your question

Will a 9800 GT + GeForce 400 Series cause problems?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2010 11:50:45 PM

I currently have a Geforce 9800 gt and a single PCIe slot mobo. The 9800 gt has been an excellent card and has run the games I've wanted to to very well.

Now I want to get a card that is fully Direct X 10 compatible to replace it but I would like to run a third or forth monitor on my system at the same time. If I get another motherboard that has a second PCIe slot, can I put both the 9800 gt card and a newer 400 series GeForce card in at the same time? I know I can't use SLI, but I don't need to. I only intend to run the games I play on my main display. I only need to use the other displays when in windows or when running games in windows mode (which I do frequently).

a c 272 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 11:56:57 PM

Yes and you might even to use it as a PhysX card when needed but you may have to unplug the monitor(s) to do that.
m
l
November 1, 2010 2:09:21 AM

So it may be possible to use the 9800 gt as a PhysX card? Sounds like a good idea to go ahead wit the plan then.

I'll need a new mobo, video card, and PSU.

Any good recommendations on a new GPU and mobo? I want something that is at least comparable to the 9800 gt since it's able to do mostly everything I need to do right now anyway. I can run most games with everything but AA in the highest settings at 1920x1080.
m
l
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 2:16:31 AM

It would be be helpful to have a budget and currency then as as the cost and availability of things are not the same the world over.
m
l
November 1, 2010 7:27:08 AM

I'm going to kind of rephrase this question:

I currently have a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H AM2+ mobo with a Phenom II 955 black box processor and 4 GB of 1066 DDR ram and a Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT.

The problem is I want to put in a second video card so I can run 4 monitors instead of two and I also want to get a direct X 11 card at the same time.

The system I have currently meets my needs well except I want to replace my 9800 GT with a direct X 11 compatible card AND get a 4 monitor setup going. I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this. I'd love to be able to get 4 monitors and a DX11 card for $200 US or less.

Option 1: Replace my 9800 GT with an affordable direct X 11 card that was at least as good as the 9800 GT with 4 monitor outputs, but I have yet to find one.

Option 2: Get one or two standard PCI (not PCIe) card to work with a new direct X 11 card for the third and forth monitor

Option 3: Replace my mobo for an AM2+ board that works with DDR 2 and has 2 PCIe slots.

Option 4: Replace my mobo and ram with an AM3 board and get new DDR 3 ram.

I would prefer to do option 1 or 2 as I don't need to upgrade the mobo or RAM for speed reasons. Option 3 seems like a bit of a waste because I'll be spending a lot of money while staying with DDR 2 and option 4 is more money than I want to spend right now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 9:21:48 AM

What is your budget for the video card upgrade?
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 12:15:51 PM

The cheapest option would be to get a ATi card and a DP adapter, that would only give you three monitors though unless you got an Eyefinity 6 card.
m
l
November 1, 2010 7:03:36 PM

The Eyefinity 6 is out of my budget and is overkill. I would prefer to stay with Nvidia, but if I did go with an ATI do you mean I would be able to use the integrated ATI HD 4200? Or do you mean an ATI card would give me three outputs by using the HDMI port as a third output?

If all I needed to get was an ATI card to make this work, I'd like to spend between $150 - $200 USD. The video card is my largest bottleneck right now.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 7:10:34 PM

The ATi Eyefinity cards can run three monitors at once ( 2x DVI + 1x DP) so if your onboard 4200 can run at the same time as a PCIe card then you could have youur four monitors at the same time.
m
l
November 1, 2010 8:58:40 PM

Oh, I see.

I was looking at this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but I see there are many others:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I don't know as much about the ATIs as I do about the Nvidias. I stopped using ATI when I couldn't get my ATI cards to work correctly with Linux.

Can you recommend an ATI Eyefinity that is at least as good as the 9800 GT? I have up to a $200 budget for such a card. I'll start looking into the reviews and charts now.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 9:15:45 PM

That would be the 5670 some of which have 1x VGA, 1xDP and 1x DVI and others have 1x HDMI, 1x DP and 1x DVI.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 9:55:32 PM

Either one of those should do but for the DP to DVI you will probably need one of the as as well.
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:26:25 AM

Thanks! You've been a great help. I think I'll go ahead with one of those eyefinity cards. Now I just have to figure out which one.

I'm looking for best bang for the buck around $150 - $200 max. I've been using this page and putting the cards into the search box at newegg to try and find the card I'll be getting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010-gaming-graphics...

once I find a candidate I'll try and find more reviews on that particular card. Suggestions are always welcome. :D 

I should probably go ahead and get a new PSU as well. I know I'm already probably pushing my 450 watter to the breaking point.
m
l
!