Will a 9800 GT + GeForce 400 Series cause problems?

I currently have a Geforce 9800 gt and a single PCIe slot mobo. The 9800 gt has been an excellent card and has run the games I've wanted to to very well.

Now I want to get a card that is fully Direct X 10 compatible to replace it but I would like to run a third or forth monitor on my system at the same time. If I get another motherboard that has a second PCIe slot, can I put both the 9800 gt card and a newer 400 series GeForce card in at the same time? I know I can't use SLI, but I don't need to. I only intend to run the games I play on my main display. I only need to use the other displays when in windows or when running games in windows mode (which I do frequently).
13 answers Last reply
More about will 9800 geforce series problems
  1. Yes and you might even to use it as a PhysX card when needed but you may have to unplug the monitor(s) to do that.
  2. So it may be possible to use the 9800 gt as a PhysX card? Sounds like a good idea to go ahead wit the plan then.

I'll need a new mobo, video card, and PSU.

Any good recommendations on a new GPU and mobo? I want something that is at least comparable to the 9800 gt since it's able to do mostly everything I need to do right now anyway. I can run most games with everything but AA in the highest settings at 1920x1080.
  3. It would be be helpful to have a budget and currency then as as the cost and availability of things are not the same the world over.
  4. I'm going to kind of rephrase this question:

I currently have a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H AM2+ mobo with a Phenom II 955 black box processor and 4 GB of 1066 DDR ram and a Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT.

The problem is I want to put in a second video card so I can run 4 monitors instead of two and I also want to get a direct X 11 card at the same time.

The system I have currently meets my needs well except I want to replace my 9800 GT with a direct X 11 compatible card AND get a 4 monitor setup going. I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this. I'd love to be able to get 4 monitors and a DX11 card for $200 US or less.

Option 1: Replace my 9800 GT with an affordable direct X 11 card that was at least as good as the 9800 GT with 4 monitor outputs, but I have yet to find one.

Option 2: Get one or two standard PCI (not PCIe) card to work with a new direct X 11 card for the third and forth monitor

Option 3: Replace my mobo for an AM2+ board that works with DDR 2 and has 2 PCIe slots.

Option 4: Replace my mobo and ram with an AM3 board and get new DDR 3 ram.

I would prefer to do option 1 or 2 as I don't need to upgrade the mobo or RAM for speed reasons. Option 3 seems like a bit of a waste because I'll be spending a lot of money while staying with DDR 2 and option 4 is more money than I want to spend right now.
  5. What is your budget for the video card upgrade?
  6. The cheapest option would be to get a ATi card and a DP adapter, that would only give you three monitors though unless you got an Eyefinity 6 card.
  7. The Eyefinity 6 is out of my budget and is overkill. I would prefer to stay with Nvidia, but if I did go with an ATI do you mean I would be able to use the integrated ATI HD 4200? Or do you mean an ATI card would give me three outputs by using the HDMI port as a third output?

If all I needed to get was an ATI card to make this work, I'd like to spend between $150 - $200 USD. The video card is my largest bottleneck right now.
  8. The ATi Eyefinity cards can run three monitors at once ( 2x DVI + 1x DP) so if your onboard 4200 can run at the same time as a PCIe card then you could have youur four monitors at the same time.
  9. Oh, I see.

I was looking at this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121371&cm_re=ATi_Eyefinity-_-14-121-371-_-Product
    but I see there are many others:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ATi+Eyefinity&x=0&y=0

I don't know as much about the ATIs as I do about the Nvidias. I stopped using ATI when I couldn't get my ATI cards to work correctly with Linux.

Can you recommend an ATI Eyefinity that is at least as good as the 9800 GT? I have up to a $200 budget for such a card. I'll start looking into the reviews and charts now.
  10. That would be the 5670 some of which have 1x VGA, 1xDP and 1x DVI and others have 1x HDMI, 1x DP and 1x DVI.
  11. Do something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102869&cm_re=ATi_Eyefinity-_-14-102-869-_-Product

with
    1 DVI cable,
    1 HDMI to DVI cable.
    and
    1 DP to DVI cable?

should give me three monitors?

or if I wanted to spend more, I'd assume http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127476&cm_re=MSI_R5770-_-14-127-476-_-Product would be noticeably better/
  12. Either one of those should do but for the DP to DVI you will probably need one of the as as well.
  13. Thanks! You've been a great help. I think I'll go ahead with one of those eyefinity cards. Now I just have to figure out which one.

I'm looking for best bang for the buck around $150 - $200 max. I've been using this page and putting the cards into the search box at newegg to try and find the card I'll be getting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010-gaming-graphics-charts-high-quality/3DMark06-v1.1.0,2484.html

once I find a candidate I'll try and find more reviews on that particular card. Suggestions are always welcome. :D

I should probably go ahead and get a new PSU as well. I know I'm already probably pushing my 450 watter to the breaking point.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Geforce Graphics Product