Unlocking Extra Cores

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hey Community!

I have a MSI 790FX-GD70 Motherboard, site bios updated to the 1.H (most updated bios version there)

apparently the updates changed the string "EC Firmware" to "Unlock CPU Core". which means Normal and Special for EC is now Disabled and Enabled for the new one.

I'm not sure if im doing this right, but i set my Unlock CPU Core to enabled and Advanced Core Calibration set to Auto.

Using the mobo on a AMD PHENOM II X2 555BE which is said to be unlockable.

is that all i need to do? or do i have to change the voltages too? all multipliers and everything is set to default auto.

When Unlock CPU Core and ACC is set to enabled and auto, my PC won't boot, and the GPU FAN goes to 100%.

:(

Help appreciated.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
People should accept the die they roll. Not all motherboards can unlock cores well. Some unlock better than others. Nevertheless, you should never return a CPU that functions perfectly fine because it's consumers in the end that have to pay for the restocking of the CPU.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Yes.FRYS has fabulous after-sales service.Please dont try to take advantage of them.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

*** like this is the reason all my local shops have now started testing components that are returned/exchanged with a claim of said components being faulty. If a component is returned with a claim that it's faulty....unless the system fails to POST with the component installed it can take upwards of 5-7 BUSINESS days for an exchange due to testing. That really screws people that only claim a product is faulty when it infact is.....