Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking Extra Cores

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2011 8:47:14 AM

Hey Community!

I have a MSI 790FX-GD70 Motherboard, site bios updated to the 1.H (most updated bios version there)

apparently the updates changed the string "EC Firmware" to "Unlock CPU Core". which means Normal and Special for EC is now Disabled and Enabled for the new one.

I'm not sure if im doing this right, but i set my Unlock CPU Core to enabled and Advanced Core Calibration set to Auto.

Using the mobo on a AMD PHENOM II X2 555BE which is said to be unlockable.

is that all i need to do? or do i have to change the voltages too? all multipliers and everything is set to default auto.

When Unlock CPU Core and ACC is set to enabled and auto, my PC won't boot, and the GPU FAN goes to 100%.

:( 

Help appreciated.

More about : unlocking extra cores

a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 9:32:00 AM

Perhaps you have two bad cores on the chip. It happens.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 12:58:57 PM

^+1 Unlocking locked cores is never guaranteed!
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2011 10:39:41 PM

well i bought it from FRYS and i can always return it and get another.

If i keep returning and getting another, do you think i will eventually unlock one?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2011 2:32:29 AM

trihedral said:

If i keep returning and getting another, do you think i will eventually unlock one?

"Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn occasionally!" :D 
m
l
March 26, 2011 7:59:33 AM

^Because he's a "cheap bastard"

Duh
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2011 9:47:17 AM

Quote:
Why don't you just buy an X4 in the first place you cheap bastard?

Now now..
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2011 9:51:51 AM

People should accept the die they roll. Not all motherboards can unlock cores well. Some unlock better than others. Nevertheless, you should never return a CPU that functions perfectly fine because it's consumers in the end that have to pay for the restocking of the CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2011 9:59:18 AM

amdfangirl said:
People should accept the die they roll. Not all motherboards can unlock cores well. Some unlock better than others. Nevertheless, you should never return a CPU that functions perfectly fine because it's consumers in the end that have to pay for the restocking of the CPU.

Yes.FRYS has fabulous after-sales service.Please dont try to take advantage of them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2011 12:42:22 PM

If everyone takes advantage of them, they'll can it for certain.
m
l
March 26, 2011 1:14:40 PM

trihedral said:

*** like this is the reason all my local shops have now started testing components that are returned/exchanged with a claim of said components being faulty. If a component is returned with a claim that it's faulty....unless the system fails to POST with the component installed it can take upwards of 5-7 BUSINESS days for an exchange due to testing. That really screws people that only claim a product is faulty when it infact is.....
m
l
!