Sign in with
Your question

How Much Will Fermi In SLI Affect Room Temperatures?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2010 12:15:58 AM

Someone was telling me 2 470's in SLI would increase the room temperature by like 5-10 degrees compared to the 6**** not affecting ambient temperatures at all.

Would SLI 470 really increase the room temperature 5-10 degrees compared to a 6870?
Does anyone have any experience with an SLI fermi rig in already hot environments? Would appreciate any input, I would like to get 2 470's but if it is pretty much like a space heater I will probably go with the 6 series instead. thanks for any input!
a b Î Nvidia
November 1, 2010 12:18:11 AM

A single GTX 460 is an effective room heater much like my old x1900xt or my two 9800gt. Having two GTX470 will make things toasty unless winter comes or you got the air on.
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2010 12:24:50 AM

all cards are space heaters under load for long enough period of time. But yeah 470 would be hotter.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 1, 2010 12:24:51 AM

ct1615 said:
the ati6870 has an advantage in temp as the 470's run hot but they are not space heaters.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph3987/33248.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-685...

Only if the room is decently ventilated but most older homes and typically most apartments are not which means that bed rooms get quite stuffy during the warmer months or chilly in the winter. I have moved around enough to know that. Living off the grid makes it even worse.
m
l
November 1, 2010 12:38:45 AM

Almost all power sent to a gpu returns as heat, so, the more power required, the more heat
Now, its arguable that a gpu is as efficient as a space heater, but they can come close, just in smaller amounts
Even tho the gpu itself has a temp reading on it, its not counting the heat coming away from the fan, which is ultimately absorbed in the space its in, whether partly the case, or the room itself
Add to that the other componants, they can push out alot of heat for the total rig
m
l
November 1, 2010 1:04:43 AM

It all depends on what kind of room you are in; if you are in a large room or one that is open, then no. If you're in a well-ventilated room, then no. If you are in a smaller room with all the doors closed with little or no ventilation then probably. The thing to understand is that heat dissipates very quickly, exponentially, in fact, so it depends on what you mean by "ambient temperature." If you mean the average temperature of the room, then it's doubtful that a computer will raise it by more than five degrees. However, if you take the ambient temperature to mean the temperature right outside the computer or in the close vicinity of the computer, then it is likely that a PC with high-end components like a SLI Fermi setup and an over-clocked cpu will raise this temperature noticeably. As long as you have a large room or one with air-conditioning, then the heat generated by a high-end pc will probably only be felt by your feet (or whatever body part you have closest to the pc.)
m
l
!