Sign in with
Your question
Solved

G.Skill Ripjaw or Kingston Hyperx 1600 2x4gb

Last response: in Motherboards
November 30, 2011 5:38:45 AM

Hello, I'm building my first gaming PC and plan on adding the AMD Phenom II x4, ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+ with EVGA GTX 550 Ti

For RAM I've narrowed it down to Kingston HyperX or G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 2x4gb

I've read that some folks have had problems with G.Skill on AMD mobos - but it seems that they did not have the voltage and timings set correctly in the Bios. G.Skill forums seems to have some good notes on how to set correctly.

see link: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Then Kingston has a good memory reputation and I have read no downside except that they run at a higher voltage so maybe slightly higher heat.

I'm a hardware newbie so no immediate plans to overclock.

G.Skill is cheaper and I'm on a budget - but I don't need stability problems with my first build - but still leaning that direction - thoughts?

Thanks

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2011 6:49:02 AM

G.Skill, Kingston has gone downhill in the last 10 years (G.Skill, Geil, Corsair, and Mushkin are better and usually cheaper). I have had no issues using G.Skill in any of my AMD builds (or intel builds for that matter). The only issue I've ever had with G.Skill has been the height of their heatsinks (touching my HSF).
November 30, 2011 7:23:57 PM

IH8U said:
G.Skill, Kingston has gone downhill in the last 10 years (G.Skill, Geil, Corsair, and Mushkin are better and usually cheaper). I have had no issues using G.Skill in any of my AMD builds (or intel builds for that matter). The only issue I've ever had with G.Skill has been the height of their heatsinks (touching my HSF).

Thanks IH8U - I have enough room for the heatsinks - so not an issue.

Appreciate the feedback.
December 7, 2011 1:11:18 AM

Best answer selected by Subdude.
!