Sign in with
Your question

What are some good ramdisk

Last response: in Memory
November 30, 2011 5:50:25 AM

wa swondering of some good ram disk or ramcache programs any suggestions? on a x64 OS
and would they help any? got 12gb memory and windows 7 ex58-ds4 motherboard

More about : good ramdisk

a b } Memory
November 30, 2011 8:31:21 AM

dataram's ramdisk is a ramdisk program.
m
l
November 30, 2011 9:13:03 AM

I am using RAMDISK on win XP SP2 but it doesn't work at win 7 64 bit ultimate.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2011 1:22:40 PM

is ram disk even benificial for windows 7 x64
m
l
a b } Memory
November 30, 2011 1:37:49 PM

WINTERLORD said:
is ram disk even benificial for windows 7 x64

what do you want to do with the ram disk?
m
l
November 30, 2011 11:29:15 PM

i have no idea please explain
m
l
a b } Memory
December 1, 2011 3:37:17 AM

after you create the ram disk, what do you want to do with it? for example, do you want to, say, store your page file in it? or use it for i/o benchmarks? or store files it it? load games from it? so on.
m
l
December 6, 2011 1:22:09 AM

i want to speed up system and load page file to ram disk
m
l
a b } Memory
December 6, 2011 1:50:27 AM

WINTERLORD said:

dataram's ramdisk software doesn't let you make ramdisks bigger than 4 gb iirc. you'll need to buy it to use bigger ramdisks.
after you create the ramdisk you can set your pagefile to the disk drive created with ramdisk. i've never tried it though.
m
l
December 17, 2011 4:21:18 AM

would makeing a ram disk to put the page file on in windows 7. would it make the computer any faster? i use an SSD to btw.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 17, 2011 4:34:34 AM

i think ( i can't confirm this) windows only uses pagefile when a software specifically uses it and/or when it runs out of system ram. so if you create a ram disk, you will be limiting windows' usable system ram (unless you're using 32 bit os and have more than 4 gb ram) and possibly forcing windows to use the pagefile which is stored in....ram. so, using ramdisk for pagefile is probably not a good idea. the ssd should provide plenty of responsiveness. you could store the pagefile on the ssd.
m
l
a c 146 } Memory
December 17, 2011 4:51:50 AM

WINTERLORD said:
would makeing a ram disk to put the page file on in windows 7. would it make the computer any faster? i use an SSD to btw.

How much of the RAM do u have?
m
l
a c 146 } Memory
December 17, 2011 4:53:22 AM

yasir siddiqui said:
I am using RAMDISK on win XP SP2 but it doesn't work at win 7 64 bit ultimate.

RAMDISK works perfectly well on W7 x64, I am using it every day.
m
l
a c 146 } Memory
December 17, 2011 5:01:35 AM

WINTERLORD said:

It would be nonsense to do it since u have the SSD .

U can use it to encode -- audio + video

Set up default location for WinRar, Photoshop

Run portable apps.

Use it as Temp....

m
l
December 17, 2011 7:02:35 PM

what do you mean it would be nonsense, do you mean with an ssd i should just disable the pagefile anyways?

thanks
m
l
a b } Memory
December 18, 2011 5:15:51 AM

WINTERLORD said:
what do you mean it would be nonsense, do you mean with an ssd i should just disable the pagefile anyways?

thanks

disabling the pagefile might not be a good idea. some programs need to store files in the virtual memory, sometimges games need to store swap files. you seem to have plenty or ram so you might not need a lot of virtual memory. keep at least 2-4 gb of pagefile.
ssds are very fast, they have much lower latency than hdd. storing the pagefile in the ssd instead of ramdrive would be smarter while you can use the ramdrive for the tasks nikorr mentioned.
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:42:27 PM

dataram's ramdisk is best of choice for me.
Without any trouble enable was so easy and disable was better then install.

Til 4GB of RAMDisk is free there are no limit with date just freeeee~

I have 8~16GB on my pc and notebook.

I only enable 2GB RAMDisk.

In my office pc i set it with 1GB of RAMDisk.

Ofcourse i enable TEMP and history cache on RMADisk.

for 1.5month of exp.

it is great choice i made.

I love it.

good luck~!!
m
l
February 10, 2012 7:56:48 PM

On my Win 7 x64 machine with 16G RAM, even when the RAM used is less than 2GIG, I still have stuff being written to the paging file, which I assume is due to some programs wanting to page temporary stuff instead of leaving it in RAM.

I've never seen this machine go above about 25% RAM usage - which I attribute to most of the programs on it still being 32bit rather than 64bit.

I'm thinking about setting up a 4G RAM disk to handle things like Firefox and IE caches, maybe the paging file, etc.

Here are my questions:

1. Aren't there some settings that force some Windows 7 OS stuff to stay in RAM instead of being paged out?

2. Has anyone seen any software that might examine a system and suggest things to be directed to a RAM Drive? Or RAMDrive software which includes an analysis feature? Better yet, RAMDisk software which is smart enough to find the stuff and then ask you which you want on the RAMDisk, and change the settings for you?

3. Has anyone seen any comprehensive information that lists various programs, such as Firefox, and provides the instructions to set the caches, temp files, etc., to use the RAMDrive?

4. I'm concerned about storing files such as OpenOffice temp files on a RAMDrive because I think that OpenOffice uses temp files for file recovery when a file crashes and if the system has been re-booted, well ooops.

I've googled and found generic suggestions about what to store on a RAMDisk, but nothing specifically listing suggestions by software title such as MS Word, Adobe Illustrator, etc., or anything comprehensive.
m
l
May 11, 2012 8:32:39 PM

hostricity said:
Has anyone seen any software that might examine a system and suggest things to be directed to a RAM Drive? Or RAMDrive software which includes an analysis feature? Better yet, RAMDisk software which is smart enough to find the stuff and then ask you which you want on the RAMDisk, and change the settings for you?.
SuperCache 5 is a great program for that. Here's a post I made on another thread
Quote:
If you really want to speed things up a little there's a program from a company named SuperSpeed called SuperCache 5 that will help if you have enough ram in your system to dedicate some to it. I dedicated about 8GB out of 24GB ram to it. It's also very easy to turn on or off depending on your needs. It costs $79.95. Not cheep! But, it does help and you can try it for free for 10 days. The Benchmarks on the left are without SuperCache 5 and the ones on the right are with it enabled.

You do want to turn off your Paging File or your Read Access time will suffer slightly.

I think it's also important to note that the Benchmarks I've posted are not representative of real world use. There is a very real performance boost but, it's certainly nothing earth-shattering like the benchmarks seem to suggest. When it comes to the speed/response of your OS the most important benchmark (Read/Acc. time) is the only one that doesn't change at all. That said, It still does make a difference and I think it's worth it. Of course that's me. If you want to see if you think it's worth it or not try the 10 day free trial.

m
l
October 18, 2012 4:57:02 PM

nikorr said:
RAMDISK works perfectly well on W7 x64, I am using it every day.

Like winterlord I'm trying to squeeze more performance out of our current PC we bought in 2010 and was looking into the ramdrive solution. I want to upgrade some components because my wife want's to get into photo and video editing.

I don't want to rebuild the PC because there's just too much stuff installed and I don't want to deal with the HP help desk.

Here's what I'm currently thinking of upgrading:

New Parts:
AMD 965 BE Deneb (buying)
16 GB Kensington Hyper X Blu @13333 (buying)
RamDrive software (buying)
Seasonic 620 80+ Bronze (I own)
GTX 560Ti (I own)

Current Config:
AMD 840T (@2.9 GHz)
8 GB Generic RAM
AMD HD 5670
1.5 TB Caviar Green
Win7 Home Prem. 64-bit

Any input you guys have would be much appreciated!
m
l
!