Your question

Noob Question about Asus p8z68-m Pro

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
Last response: in Motherboards
November 30, 2011 5:51:13 AM

Hey guys and gals,

Here is a noob question... where is the port on the motherboard to attach my power button for my case to turn the system on? :sweat: 

More about : noob question asus p8z68 pro

November 30, 2011 6:11:52 AM

Hi there,

The system panel connector (where you plug the power button, reset button, etc.) it's near the lower right corner of the motherboard, under the chipset heatsink and the SATA connectors, it has a white plastics base. Check out this link:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

There you can find images of the motherboard and you can download the manual, where it's explained where and how properly connect the chassis buttons.
m
l
November 30, 2011 6:37:16 AM

Sadly, Ive been reading the manual over and over and cant come to a clear resolution. My power button has a 9 pin connector, 6 of which are wired. The reset and power pins appear to be too spaced out... Do I need a new cord? :( 
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2011 6:51:43 AM

pth6781 said:
Sadly, Ive been reading the manual over and over and cant come to a clear resolution. My power button has a 9 pin connector, 6 of which are wired. The reset and power pins appear to be too spaced out... Do I need a new cord? :( 

9 pin conector on just the case power control cable. I never hear of such. U might be talking about something else. The power button cable should only have 2 pins (+ & -) . And another 2 for the reset button.
m
l
November 30, 2011 6:52:12 AM

What kind of case do u have?
m
l
November 30, 2011 7:16:25 AM

I was trying to be cheap and re-use my case. The current power button has 2 PLEDs, 2 IDE LED, and 1 pwr and its ground. Can I modify the cable or should I stop being cheap? haha
m
l
November 30, 2011 7:43:01 AM

Ok, if I understand this right then all the wires from your current chassis are joined together in a single block that fits on the system panel connectors of the old motherboard; the cables aren't separated, so that all-in-one propietary cable connector won't fit in the connectors of the P8Z68. You could definitely try to mod the cable to split it into separated cables for each pin on the new motherboard, but that could get a little hairy. Did the new Asus motherboard came with a "Asus Q-connector"? It's a little plastics piece you can use organize the wires from the chassis before plugin them on the board. You could use that to mod the current cable you have.
m
l
November 30, 2011 2:21:55 PM

A Q-connector did not come with the package. However I do have the schematics of the old mobo so I know which individual wires correspond to the new pins on the Asus. Is it hard to remove each pin? How do you?
m
l
November 30, 2011 7:46:48 PM

On a side note, My card reader is a 4 pin. Can I plug that into any USB port on my mobo?
m
l
!