Sign in with
Your question

Best replacement for GeForce 8500

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2010 1:05:01 AM

Hello,
Bought GeForce 9800 1gig mem to replace GeForce 8500 at Best Buy. Is not adequate Video Card. Get error code No Direct X 11 Graphic Support in 64 bit mode. Will not run any screen saver themes. Can't find answer to good replacement card. Can you help? Not locked into Brands at this point.
a c 277 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 1:14:57 AM

Have you updated the graphics driver?
There are both 32 and 64 bit versions.
The same driver runs both cards.

Procedure to clean install a new driver:

1) Download driversweeper to your desktop, or wherever you can find it easily.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

2) Download your new driver to the same place.
3) In add/remove programs, uninstall any Nvidia or ATI vga drivers and programs.
4) Boot into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly while booting to enter safe mode. Your display resolution may be minimal.
5) Run driversweeper. Check the selection boxes for the removal of all nvidia vga drivers and ati drivers.
6) Rerun driversweeper. All such components should be gone.
7) Install the new driver from the desktop or saved location.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 1:19:35 AM

Its not his drivers, unless you are running Win7, your OS does not naturally come with DX11, so you must hope inter explorer, hope on over the Microsoft, and DL the latest DirectX end user run time (DX11).

I need to do this every time I format for my older WinXP machine, but my Win7 machine come with it pre-installed :) 
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2010 1:41:17 AM

9800 are dinosaurs compared to technology out today. the GTX 4XX series of cards are the way to go bro, for sure. GDDR5 memory, advanced shading capabilities, etc.. and the GTX 460 is not even $200 now!!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 2:22:20 AM

Hey guess what Ober, if he goes up and buys a 460GTX, he will still get the same error, since he missing the DX11 runtime, talk about a pointless reply...
m
l
!