Weird Graphics Issue

omegadash

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Hi, i've been having weird graphical glitches in any OS i install. Tried Vista,XP and Windows 7. I've tried switching to a graphics card that's definitely working and still have problems. The graphics cards tried are the Geforce GTX460 and 9600GT. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2. This machine is pretty new, probably a month old only. Also I don't have this problem at all during games, only gives me problems on the desktop,pictures and some videos. Below are two examples of the problem. Thanks

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Zero8/Untitled.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Zero8/Untitled-1-2.jpg

Goko

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
first try the onboard video and see if it's there

then if it isnt, try to use a air blower thing to blow out the pci-e slot, and if it is, try a different monitor.. im great at computers but i think these are good suggestions

omegadash

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
My processor doesn't support onboard video. I've tried about 3 different monitors and also tried changing the dvi converter. No luck. I'll try and get some compressed air onto it. The thing is I built it the same way i usually build PC's and it worked well then after a few days this problem started happening.

The sys specs are:
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2
Gfx Card : Inno3D Geforce GTX460 768mb
RAM : 2 x Corsair VS2GB1333D3 VALUESELECT 2GB DDR3-1333 1.6v CL9
CPU : Intel i5-760 Quad Core 2.8GHz
HDD : 1TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU : Coolermaster RP-600-PCAR eXtreme power 600w, ATX 12V V2.01

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
So fishy, try to replace the vga cable itself, with a DVI display cable and if the problem persists try a bios update, and if still no avail, RMA the board.

Goko

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

[strike]i dont think a bios update would help, and " also tried changing the dvi converter" he said[/strike]

nvm he said converter

omegadash

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Tried switching the vga cable already with no luck. I'll try and do a bios update. I'm willing to try anything right now. I just find it strange that games aren't affected at all.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Just to beat the odds:
remove the VGA driver by uninstall + Driver Sweeper (http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/) then install the latest driver from Nvidia.com
and make sure that your chipset drivers are up to date as well before taking any extreme step such as RMA the board.

3 different OS, 3 monitors, two gpus....

bizarre set of symptoms; tearing only in photos, some movies, yet games are fine....

I'd check all BIOS options pertaining to PCI-express clock speeds, plug/play OS, etc...make sure your MB does not have anything OC'd be default; when in doubt, select 'default" timings vice 'optimal'...

I'd say you are in for a new mb as well, although a truly bizarre/unique set of circumstances exists!

omegadash

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Already tried the driver sweeper and updating the driver. Even tried using a older driver. Gonna try updating the bios later today as well as the chipset drivers.

I've built up a few systems and have never come across a problem like this before.