Sign in with
Your question

Connecting two Networks

Last response: in Networking
June 15, 2010 3:46:31 AM

Hi All,
I have gone through most of the posts and articles on internet but am struggling to find a solution for our situation.

I have got two networks.
N/W: 192.168.0.X
G/W: 192.168.0.254

N/W: 192.168.0.16.X
G/W: 192.168.16.254

Both the networks have got their own internet access. They are connected through two separate internet connections.

Being in the same office, I need to make the two networks visible to each other so that we can share resources.. Like our shared network drives, printers etc.

I can't figure out how to do it. I have got 100+ users in 0.X network and 15 in 16.X .

We need tio share files and be able to print between the two networks. All printers are networked so i can do IP printing but am not able to figure out how to create a link between the two networks.

More about : connecting networks

June 15, 2010 7:08:53 AM

Assuming the two networks are not physically connected you could connect the two lans with a router. Just be wary of the issues with having two routers on a network with things like DHCP. I believe modern routers have a 'bridge mode' that is meant specifically for situations like these.

While I'm sure this will work, I'm not a networking professional and if you're doing this at work, consult someone that knows their stuff :) 
m
l
June 15, 2010 10:29:44 AM

m
l
!