Need your opinion in a home built computer

SandroMaia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
So first of all Hi everyone, my name is Sandro, and I am from portugal. I spent 7 hours trying to make a good computer for me, watching reviews from you, seeing prices and combining them to my budget with the objective of making a good/price computer to the budget i have and for what i want to use my computer.

Basically i have 2100 euros to spent its almost the same as dollars so don't worry, anyway some parts of my computer I've already decided what i want, but other parts im not sure yet like the motherboard, graphics card and memorys and i want your opinion about, and maybe you can tell me other parts that im nor aware off.That would be great.

Another thing im a little fan of asus, so i have a little fear regarding other brands like gigabyte, msi, AMD but im here for you to tell me whats really worth it you know.. just because it's more expensive it doesn't mean that it's better, and if i could spent less money that would also be great.

So.. i will use my computer for gamming and mostly using After effects and editing softwares and 3d rendering like Maya or 3D Max. I tried to combine the gamming with the work in this computer, but i just want you to know for what i want the computer i think it will help.

This is the computer:

Graphic Cards:

-ATI 5970 2GB (saphire)
-NVIDIA GTX 580 1.5 GB
-ATI 6990 (i don't know about this, its just a maybe)

But if i buy ATI card i will buy a 5830 to make crossfire, and 5830 because i have someone who sells it really cheaper and i was thinking that i could use it to cross fire for additional performance.

MotherBoards:

-ASUS Sabertooth X58
-GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
-ASUS RAMPAGE II GENE

Like i said earlier i want for gamming and 3d rendering. Possibly i want to overclock ofcourse like everyone else. But i want a good overclock board and good durability.

Processor:

-Intel core i7 - 950 3,06 GHZ

Memorys:

-Kingston (1800) 12GB
-GSKILL (1800) 12GB

Heres the thing is kingston that bad? because the price is a big difference.

Hard Drives:

-Intel SSD X25-V x2 in Raid 0
-WESTERN DIGITAL 2 TB 64 MB DE CACHE SATA GP (additional drive ofcourse)

Power Supplies:

-Corsair TX850W (silent)

Monitors:

-ASUS MS228H LCD LED 21,5" 10.000.000:1
-SAMSUNG MONITOR TFT 21,5" 5 000 000:1

They are boths LED its that too much difference in the contrast?

Computer Case:

-COOLER MASTER HF 932
-Caixa Thermaltake XaserVI VG4000BWS Black
-Caixa NZXT Phantom Black

I want a good cooling case, with good air flow, because i think i have a computer that will probably heat much, i thinking later in putting a water cooling system and its great to think in a case that water cooling works great and its prepared to that.

I wont put the prices because i want you to see this without looking for what is expensive, because that make us think that is better and i don't want that.

I would be thankfull if you help me

Thank you very much

If the emphasis is gaming, I'd drop the SSDs in RAID 0, and instead pick up a pair of GTX570s (600ish Euros total?)with the cost difference....

Yes, Windows 7 might take 3 seconds longer to boot to desktop without SSD Raid, and perhaps 3-4 seconds longer to load assorted game levels, but, you will be rewarded with smooth 60-80 fps at 1080P or above in most games coming for 3 years....

SandroMaia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

So you are saying that a dual 570 is better than for example gtx 580 alone or even hd 5970 alone?

Why not dual 5870? Not woth it?

The GTX 570 has ~2/3+ the performance of the 580 and 5970. When you put 2 in SLI, the performance will be almost double that.

As for your other parts, any of those motherboards will work. EVGA also makes some great OCing boards, so take a look at those and see if you like any of them.

I don't know which Kingston and G.Skill Memory you're looking at. Kingston makes good RAM, and their HyperX series is great as far as normal performance goes. I don't know about OCing.

I have the Asus 3D monitor and it looks great. Samsung makes good stuff, but it tends to be a little overpriced sometimes.

The Cooler Master HAF 932 is a popular and great case. I don't know if it has watercooling slots though. I know the NZXT Phantom does, and that it is also a good case.

SandroMaia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

Would you recommend a 6950 crossfire?

I'd imagine the performance would be very similar to the Nvidia setup; I don't know much about AMD's cards.

You could flash the 6950s to 6970s though, and gain some added performance for free.

SandroMaia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

I really think im going to a SLI GTX 570 and OC both. In reviews GTX 570 tends to win most of the cases and the 6970 is not worth the price. And since im building an Intel PC i believe the components will work better and i go Nvidia.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1085/pg7/gtx-570-vs-radeon-6970-and-6850-vs-radeon-5870-all-overclocked-review-bad-company-2.html

So for graphics card its decided

Thanks alot.

Now for motherboards i will wait for what people think about them...

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
If you Xfire or SLI 2 double slot video cards, you will lose the ability to use the PCIe 1X and PCI slots on the Asus Sabertooth motherboard. Do you have any additional add-on cards (like a sound card)? You could use the last PCIe 2.0 16X slot for a PCIe 1x card.

The Gigabyte one will allow you to use the 2nd PCIe 1X slot, but you still lose the PCI slot.

Also, you don't need 12GB RAM for a gaming computer. 6GB is plenty.

My EVGA FTW3 has 3 PCI-Express x16 slots for Tri-SLI, but you can use 2 GPUs and EITHER a PCI OR PCI-Express x1 slot (in the leftover x16 slot).

He isn't just gaming though. That extra RAM will help with his work. I upgraded by another 3 GB just for that reason as well (not the same programs, though).

Case - Since you going full tower, the 2 best choices are HAF-X and DF-85, the 932 just doesn't cut it anymore compared to those two. If it's my build, I'd go DF-85

PSU - With twin 570's, an 850 watter is the way to go. With the above DF-85 case, the CP-850 is simply a "no brainer". With the HAF-X, I'd get an XFX Black Edition 850. The TX850 just isn't "good enough" for twin GFX and a hi OC.....the HX850 is but it is a lot more money.

CPU - i7-950

MoBo - Asus Rampage III Extreme if you gonna play a ,lot w/ overclocking ... otherwise, the Sabertooth which is a superb OC'ing board w/ 5 year warranty.

GFX - Your mention of 3D rendering pulls ATI outta the equation since rendering performance is boosted greatly by CUDA which is nVidia only.

RAM - I don't see a reason for the DDR3-1800. Would suggest DDR3-1600 and at least a 160 BCLK on the OC. This will take you through it.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081220191040237&board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Prices are all over the place so it's hard to make recommendations with prices varying widely daily. These are a good buy atm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226100

I'd recommend a 3 x 4Gb set rather than 6 x 2Gb and avoid those with tall heat spreaders as they will likely interfere with an aftermarket CPU cooler.

SSD's - I'd suggest the OCZ Vertex 2's if you're getting them

Monitor - Asus ML238H 23" 1920 x 1080 2ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236095

CPU Cooler - With today's components, water cooling has little to offer over the best air coolers.

Cooler - $62 - Prolimatech Megahalems
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001

TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080

CPU Fan - $11 - Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10026/fan-639/Scythe_Slip_Stream_120mm_x_25mm_PWM_Mid_Speed_Fan_-_SY1225SL12LM-P.html?tl=g36c365s936

I realize ya can't buy from newegg but the spec sheets will help you zero in on performance criteria.

SandroMaia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

Ok so... I accepted all your recomendations about the case, im going to a DF-85 and about the power supplie I think im going to a corsair HX850W like you said, and also about the memories. I just have a couple of questions.

I will notice no difference from 1600 to 1800 memories? since i want to do 3d rendering? it wont affect much? because if not better for coz i can distribute the money for other parts that you recommended.

Also about the SSD I was wondering if to make RAID 0 with 2X 40 GB SSD will improve the perfomance... coz if not i prefer to buy a single one and that would reduce the heat problems. you recommended the OCZ but in the tom hardware charts of SSD 2010 the intel x25-V won in perfomance. But tell me your opinion.

About the motherboards im still confused if you could guide me a little bit more, coz i know the motherboard is the most important part in the computer. Isnt the Rampage GENE II enough? The sabertooth is cheaper, but its enough? Like i said i want to play but mostly work on 3d rendering. I was thinking in overclocking the CPU and the Graphic cards but not too much. I wont use any sound card coz the one that comes with the board is more than enough for me. the rampage III is out of my budget, and i dont need a Board that powerfull i think..

SandroMaia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

i wont use a sound card... isnt the rampage GENNE II enough? or maybe the sabertooth for the SLI and overclocking? coz sabertooth has a higher durability and less heat problems

SandroMaia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
So this is the computer so far:

Graphic Card:

-2x GTX 570 SLI

MotherBoards: (STILL UNDECIDED)

-ASUS Sabertooth X58
-GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
-ASUS RAMPAGE II GENE (But im aiming for the rampage II GENE)

Processor:

-Intel core i7 - 950 3,06 GHZ
-Cooler - Prolimatech Megahalems

Memorys:

CORSAIR PC VENGEANCE PERFORMANCE 3 X 4 GB DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 (CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9) = 12 GB

Hard Drives:

-Intel SSD X25-V x2 in Raid 0
-WESTERN DIGITAL 2 TB 64 MB DE CACHE SATA GP (additional drive ofcourse)

Power Supplies:

-Corsair HX850W 850W

Monitors:

-ASUS MS228H LCD LED 21,5" 10.000.000:1 (i liked the design)

Computer Case:

-Caixa Antec Dark Fleet 85