I7 950 running HOT

ryan913

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi all,

So recently (and horribly) my computer has taken to overheating and shutting down. I built it about 6 months ago. Until recently it has worked great. Since it was fine for six months I don't imagine it is an issue with the seating of the heat sink (it is water-cooled by Corsair H50), though I don't want to rule anything out.

Using CoreTemp the minimum temp of each core is already between 65-68 degrees Celsius just after Windows boots. The temp rises in several minutes to 85-90...YIKES (in BIOS the start-up temp reads 85 degrees....)

The only things I can figure is that the H50 went bad or that the thermostat has somehow been fried. According to my wife, the other day, when I was gone, something weird happened to the electricity in the back of the house where my computer is. Many of the outlets stopped working. I don't know if there was some sort of power surge or what. The computer started acting up right around the same time. Though I hadn't been monitoring the temps before that, so it could have been running hot for a while. And it IS plugged into a surge protector of course....so I don't know.

Any ideas on how to go about figuring out what is wrong would be really really helpful.

Thanks!
Ryan

Hello Ryan, and welcome to THG.

Seems to me that the surge protector would of kept the PC safe. i will rule that out, but not too fast.

I would venture to guess that eh H50 HAS leaked somewhere. The water, or coolant, released over the motherboard circuitry and caused and electrical failure. That may be what your wife noticed.

First, shut down your system and open your case. Look at the H50. Do you notice any burn marks, rings or any other color alterations? Can you look at your cooler and see if there are any opening and check to see if any holes are present.

Post back when you do these.

Also, stay onboard, as some other members may help you and have a better solution.

Welcome.

ryan913

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks Dogman. I found evaporated water spots all over the mobo and GPU, so I took the cooler out and am now returning it to Corsair. I just hope that there wasn't anything that got fried....I'll have to wait for a new cooler to see. Thanks again.