mhipsher34

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So a year ago I homebuilt my own computer - except it never fully worked. It worked for a bit, I installed windows 7, and loaded it once or twice. Then the problems came and I tried replacing the CPU and motherboard to no success. Whenever I would turn the computer on, it would come on for a few seconds and then shut itself off, and then it would turn itself back on. I recently got money to replace the PSU and got a Corsair 600W for it. I installed it and same thing was happening. I removed the memory and the graphics card, put the memory back in and turned it on and it stayed on. Then I put the GC back in and it started up like it should. Now though it would not load past windows startup. I was using a old CPU before, because it seemed I had less problems with it. I decided to try a different CPU to see if that was the problem. Now when I start it it just goes to the main screen that says GIGABYTE on it but wont go any further. Also I have no use of my keyboard, it just freezes at that screen. I have no idea what is wrong, so anyone who has any sort of idea would be spectacular. Here is the list of components:

MB GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775 R
PU INTEL|C2Q Q8200 2.33G 775 4M R
WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
XFX Radeon HD 4670 1GB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
Xion Solaris Black/Green Clear Side Case 450W PSU (Not using the PSU, using my Corsair 600W)
Lite ON 24X DVDRW SATA OEM
and finally I am using 512MB of ram from an old computer.

I am currently trying to find new/better RAM that I can try - I am not sure if this could be all due to a lack of RAM or not. the only other thing I could think of is the Graphics Card or the CPU but Im totally lost at this point.

Mark

Solution
I do believe that the beta of Windows 7 expired back August 1st last year. an 25, 2010 ... Effective August 1, 2009, Windows 7 Beta will expire. ... Windows 7 Beta users receive an expiration notification in the task bar one time ... But it does sound like a memory issue. Your board does not support 533. Need to buy at least 667

bs6749

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
When reading through this I expected that it is a RAM issue.

First, and I know it sounds like a dumb question, but are you sure the RAM is 240 pin DDR2 and not 184 pin DDR? Second, according to your MOBO specs, the RAM may not be supported, especially if it is 533 MHz, which many of the 512MB modules were.

I suggest buying no less than 2 GB of RAM with 4 GB being preferred. 512MB will not go a very long way, especially in Windows 7.

mhipsher34

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I am not sure what OEM means? It is a beta copy though I believe. As for the RAM - I was incorrect. it is a 1GB DDR2. It also says 533 and CL4 after that if it helps. It is made by Micron also. Thanks!

Edit: also I believe it is 240 and not 184, would a 184 even fit, isnt it a different size?

mhipsher34

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I got a beta copy from Windows that was digital - I downloaded it from their site and they emailed me a activation code

award2603

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I do believe that the beta of Windows 7 expired back August 1st last year. an 25, 2010 ... Effective August 1, 2009, Windows 7 Beta will expire. ... Windows 7 Beta users receive an expiration notification in the task bar one time ... But it does sound like a memory issue. Your board does not support 533. Need to buy at least 667

Solution

TRENDING THREADS