Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selecte

a63nt

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Hi, I built a PC some time ago, it worked perfectly until about a week ago where it suddenly turned itself off (all on it's own) & when I restarted it, it said 'Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device' (or something very similar).

i930
6gb OCZ Reaper (1600Mhz)
Asus Rampage III Extreme
3x Samsung F1 (1TB), 3x Samsung F4 (2TB)
Seasonic S12 (600W)

The thing that is of interest is that if I boot up with just the OS drive plugged in everything is fine. It's only when I plug in a 2nd sata drive that I get the message 'Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device'.

Anyone come across this exact problem before? Any possible solutions?

PS. My 1st guess was the sata controller is shot, would flashing the BIOS help this any? (ie any way to repair sata controllers?)

Go to your BIOS and set your primary boot device to the OS drive. Sometimes when you add new hardware, the motherboard automatically detects it to be the primary boot device.

I've had my computer try to boot to a USB Wireless dongle plugged into my case's front USB ports...

a63nt

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Cheers guys, I'm not actually with my PC at the moment but will be in a couple of days, I'll try it out then & get back to you. Thanks again :)