Powering up problem

jkkfreelance

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hi all, after buying and putting all my pieces together I've run into a problem.

Powering up the pc starts all fans and LED's in the case for around 2 seconds and then turns itself off, then without any human interferance it repeats this task.

I know its very difficult for you all to identify problems when there isnt anythink to look at but if anyone can suggest ANYTHING then it would be a great help.

If it helps heres my specs -

Gigabyte GA-h55m-ud2h
i5 760
GTX 460 Hawk 'Talon Attack'
Corsair Dominator DDR3 2x2GB
Corsair TX650W
LG DVDRW
Samsung F3 1TB

bs6749

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Something isn't getting power. Make sure you have the main 24 pin supply connected to the MOBO as well as the 4 or 8 pin power to the CPU. Also make sure the RAM is seated and that there is power to the GTX 460 if needed. Basically just make sure your cables have all been connected properly and we will go from there.

Also, do you hear any beeps coming from the board? If so, try to identify what they are (long, short, and how many) as they will indicate your problem.

jkkfreelance

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hi thanks for the response, I think the problem it coming with the 4/8pin to the CPU. We have the main 24pin connected and also we seem to have the 8pin connector from the power supply but can't find anywhere near the CPU to plug it in, the only thing we find is a socket for a 4 pin connection. Any ideas?

keith263

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi jkkfreelance,

I had a problem not unlike yours on one of my builds, it turned out to be PSU related.
You could try double checking and reseating all the PSU connections (I take it that you
have the 8-pin EATX 12V power plug connected as well as the 24-pin one), or maybe
borrow another PSU.

Regards keith263

jkkfreelance

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Yes we've looked for shorts and have tried to remove all cables from touching any parts.

keith263

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi jkkfreelance,

Didn't manage to post my reply before you had your responses.
Has the socket for the 4 pin got a cap covering 4 pins next to it?

Regards keith263

jkkfreelance

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hi all,

So the 8pin cable from our power supply helpfully split in half so we've now been able to connect a 4pin power to the CPU. However, the pc is still not starting.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will check all connections, RAM, and other parts to see if something is shorting. If you get any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks jkkfreelance

bs6749

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Still I would go over all connections. I'd unhook everything and do it over (leaving the board in place). Make sure all components are seated firmly and have power connecters attached as needed. If that doesn't work, I would test one module of RAM at a time in each of the slots until you can get it to POST.

Do you have a CPU Heatsink/Fan installed and is that connected to the MOBO? I've heard some boards won't allow a POST without having that connected.

jkkfreelance

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Just disconnected our grahpics card completly, started up and the computer stayed on. Turned off, replaced card without power connection into back of card. PC still powered up with card fans spinning. Then we put in one of the connectors and started back up, all working fine.

Our problem now is BIOS arn't coming up on screen. Apart from monitor, is anything else needed to see BIOS, is a keyboard and mouse required for BIOS to boot?

bs6749

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
To access the BIOS you will need to use a keyboard. With my Gigabyte MOBO you press the Delete key to access BIOS. It should say how to access BIOS on one of your startup screens. Remember which key you need to press and then restart if you miss the window to boot into BIOS. After it is reset you can begin pressing this key a couple of times per second to insure that you boot into BIOS.

Is the video card installed? You most likely need to run the install disk that came with the card in order to get the correct drivers. You should also turn off the onboard video and remove any drivers so that the nVidia ones are the only ones on the hard drive. Don't really HAVE to do this but it may help prevent some issues in the future.

bs6749

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Also, do you mean that the system is not posting now? In other words, is your monitor not recognizing the video card and instead saying something along the lines of "No Input"? Just wanted to clarify to help you better.

bs6749

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
I'm actually having the same type of problem with my computer that has been up and running well for 3 years after swapping out video cards. My monitor won't recognize an input on either card now. It can be anything from your RAM, to a bad or weak power supply or connection, to a bad CPU. I am testing my PSU with a multimeter when I get home. I think this is where my help ends unfortunately. I will be tuned in to see what the solution is for you.

I'd make sure the video card is seated and that it has power. Try a different power connector if one isn't working. By now I am guessing that everying else is seated firmly.

Have you ever gotten it to POST or show anything on the monitor so far?

jkkfreelance

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Well thanks for your help so far, and hope you get yours sorted too. This is the first time Ive tried to start up and we've never had any output from the screen

keith263

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Hi Jkkfreelance,

You mention only plugging in one of the 6 pin power connectors, doesn't the card require two 6 pin connectors to work?

Regards keith263

jkkfreelance

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hi keith, Ive just come on and sesn your response and would like to say that we are all sorted now. However, we're now trying to install xp (cheaper update for windows 7) and on installing drivers stage i BSOD with the error irql_not_less_or_equal. Any ideas? Could it be that some of our parts don't support xp?

keith263

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi Jkkfreelance,

I think that's a Device driver error message, so I assume one of the drivers doesn't support XP. Which one I wouldn't know!
Try searching on Google the specific error code to narrow it down.

Regards keith263