Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ordered a 6850 but now having regrets on not picking the GTX 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2010 11:20:51 AM

So before I ordered these cards I asked around here and looked at benchmarks on a few sites and they seemed to favor the 6850 OC'd over the GTX 460 OC'd. Now I'm seeing it the exact opposite. I'm not sure if I made the right choice at all. All I keep seeing now is how the 460 OC'd is better than the 6850 OC'd and is more comparable to the 6870 than the 6850.
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 11:30:38 AM

If youve had it for less than 7 days then just send the card back and get a refund.
Score
November 1, 2010 11:31:50 AM

I haven't even gotten it yet lol. Its still shipping >_<

Buyers regret. I'm just not even sure what to believe anymore. Is the 460 better than the 6850 or not. I keep running in circles with it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 11:32:19 AM

Nope, you did good. Only a couple of heavily OCed 460s can keep up with a OCed HD 6850. And they consume more, are hotter and noisier. A lot of sites like anandtech favor Nvidia in their reviews.

LE spelling, hooter means something else than hotter.
Score
November 1, 2010 11:51:12 AM

mosox said:
The standard 6850 is bettr than the standard GTX 460.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-revie...

A few factory OCed 460s are faster but when you OC the 6850 you get past them.

That link only has stock models. Everytime I search for OC vs OC reviews, I keep seeing the 460 come out on top. I don't even know anymore. This is confusing me
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 12:02:06 PM

Dont sweat it at all. Lets not forget a few things here, 6850 is cheaper, OC's quite well itself, uses less power, only 1 6 pin more importantly, and its normal performance will improve with drivers. The 2 are very close. I dont recommend overclocking anyway unless you need to. Dont you think its a waste to OC a card to the max the second you get it, even though at stock it can max settings and still play perfectly fine? Do you really need the extra 5 FPS from overclocking when at stock its already 50 FPS? More importantly, do you really need the extra 1, i kid you not 1 FPS the 460 can do over the 6850 when they are OC'ed to the max? Dont worry at all, i think you made the right choice, but its hard to make the wrong choice between the 2 of them.
Score
November 1, 2010 12:04:37 PM

ares1214 said:
Dont sweat it at all. Lets not forget a few things here, 6850 is cheaper, OC's quite well itself, uses less power, only 1 6 pin more importantly, and its normal performance will improve with drivers. The 2 are very close. I dont recommend overclocking anyway unless you need to. Dont you think its a waste to OC a card to the max the second you get it, even though at stock it can max settings and still play perfectly fine? Do you really need the extra 5 FPS from overclocking when at stock its already 50 FPS? More importantly, do you really need the extra 1, i kid you not 1 FPS the 460 can do over the 6850 when they are OC'ed to the max? Dont worry at all, i think you made the right choice, but its hard to make the wrong choice between the 2 of them.

I guess. I just miss clear cut winners you know? Made decisions so much easier. This is just as much trouble I had picking between a Droid X and a Samsung Fascinate lol. Flip Flopped on those like 50 times.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 12:10:22 PM

Metroidman said:
I guess. I just miss clear cut winners you know? Made decisions so much easier. This is just as much trouble I had picking between a Droid X and a Samsung Fascinate lol. Flip Flopped on those like 50 times.

Which one did you choose? That would be a hard decision. Im about to get what i view as the best phone released, MyTouch 4G :)  768mb of ram :love:  Genius Button :love:  Android 2.2 :love:  3.8 Capactive Touch Screen :love:  Anyway, back on topic. Overall, i recommend the 6850 over the 460, and i recommend the 460 over the 6870, and i recommend the 6870 over the 470. So basically anything from the 460 768mb to the 470, i recommend the 6850 over. Its just a killer value. Id say as a whole, it and the 460 are within 5% of each other. Like i said, hard to make a bad choice between them, but id go with the 6850 nonetheless. You have to consider the drivers will improve, overclocking will improve with voltage support from Afterburner, and its a better card for dual card setups due to AMD's surprisingly amazing scaling. But i do miss the old days. I believe it was the 9xxx series from AMD, beat Nvidias cards by a 3 to 1 margin...pretty easy choice. Then there was G80, also a very easy choice. Now all of this competition. Oh well, competition is good for us.
November 1, 2010 11:19:01 PM

ares1214 said:
Which one did you choose? That would be a hard decision. Im about to get what i view as the best phone released, MyTouch 4G :)  768mb of ram :love:  Genius Button :love:  Android 2.2 :love:  3.8 Capactive Touch Screen :love:  Anyway, back on topic. Overall, i recommend the 6850 over the 460, and i recommend the 460 over the 6870, and i recommend the 6870 over the 470. So basically anything from the 460 768mb to the 470, i recommend the 6850 over. Its just a killer value. Id say as a whole, it and the 460 are within 5% of each other. Like i said, hard to make a bad choice between them, but id go with the 6850 nonetheless. You have to consider the drivers will improve, overclocking will improve with voltage support from Afterburner, and its a better card for dual card setups due to AMD's surprisingly amazing scaling. But i do miss the old days. I believe it was the 9xxx series from AMD, beat Nvidias cards by a 3 to 1 margin...pretty easy choice. Then there was G80, also a very easy choice. Now all of this competition. Oh well, competition is good for us.

Picked the Droid X because of lack of lag and better GPS. I am going to XFire or SLI either way so I hope sticking with the 6850 doesn't bite me in the ass later.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2010 12:04:09 AM

Metroidman said:
Picked the Droid X because of lack of lag and better GPS. I am going to XFire or SLI either way so I hope sticking with the 6850 doesn't bite me in the ass later.

In that case, you really made the right choice. If the 6850 beats the 460 at stock by about 4%, it beats it by 10% when you compare SLI to Xfire due to better scaling.
Score
November 2, 2010 1:12:08 AM

You are just looking at percentages. You aren't going to notice anything unless its 15 precent or higher. Besides you probably run games with vsync on anyways. Unless you use cuda the card you have should be fine. You are just getting cold feet and are seeing the glass is half empty side of the reviews. I went through the same thing when i traded in my 9800gx2 for a gtx280.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2010 1:14:48 AM

krash3x said:
You are just looking at percentages. You aren't going to notice anything unless its 15 precent or higher. Besides you probably run games with vsync on anyways. Unless you use cuda the card you have should be fine. You are just getting cold feet and are seeing the glass is half empty side of the reviews. I went through the same thing when i traded in my 9800gx2 for a gtx280.

Well percentages are percentages. I was just using it as an example showing it scales better.
Score
a c 1363 U Graphics card
November 2, 2010 1:36:09 AM

5% more 5% less. Who is going to see the difference between 60 fps or 57 fps or 30 fps or 31.5 fps. Some games perform better on Nvidia cards others on ATI, some websites exploit this when doing testing.
Score
November 11, 2010 11:03:39 PM

Best answer selected by Metroidman.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 11:16:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!