Why so ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 24, 2005 8:19:57 PM

Dear All,

I have some strange behaviour on my wireless network and woner if anyone
has already solved the problem....

iMac G5 running Panther, built in Airport card talking to my existing 802.11
network

Scenario 1 - WEP is DISABLED on the network.
Everything works perfectly !

Scenario 2 - WEP (128Bit, ASCII) ENABLED
Every time I boot the iMac, it has lost contact with the network ! The
little Airport monitor on the menu bar shows no strength. If I then click on
this, it offers me "Network X" or "Other". If I choose "Network X", it
offers me a password box, thinks about it for a minute, then gives me an
error message saying there was a problem connecting.

Now - if I click on "other" and enter "Network X" as the desired network,
click on 128Bit ASCII WEP and enter the password, the machine connects just
fine.

However - if I reboot, it loses the connection and I have to go through this
again....

With noWEP, it's just fine - automatically connects to the wireless network,
but with WEP enabled it seems to drop the connection and not remember the
network password.

Funnily enough, when I logged into my wife's account to set the netowrk
password for her, the dialogue box gave the "add to keychain" option and the
netowrk connection works fine for her after reboot..... but it doesn't give
me the "add to keychain" option

Anyone got any ideas

More about : question

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:34:47 PM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have some strange behaviour on my wireless network and woner if anyone
> has already solved the problem....
>
> iMac G5 running Panther, built in Airport card talking to my existing 802.11
> network
>
> Scenario 1 - WEP is DISABLED on the network.
> Everything works perfectly !
>
> Scenario 2 - WEP (128Bit, ASCII) ENABLED
> Every time I boot the iMac, it has lost contact with the network ! The
> little Airport monitor on the menu bar shows no strength. If I then click on
> this, it offers me "Network X" or "Other". If I choose "Network X", it
> offers me a password box, thinks about it for a minute, then gives me an
> error message saying there was a problem connecting.
>
> Now - if I click on "other" and enter "Network X" as the desired network,
> click on 128Bit ASCII WEP and enter the password, the machine connects just
> fine.
>
> However - if I reboot, it loses the connection and I have to go through this
> again....
>
> With noWEP, it's just fine - automatically connects to the wireless network,
> but with WEP enabled it seems to drop the connection and not remember the
> network password.
>
> Funnily enough, when I logged into my wife's account to set the netowrk
> password for her, the dialogue box gave the "add to keychain" option and the
> netowrk connection works fine for her after reboot..... but it doesn't give
> me the "add to keychain" option
>
> Anyone got any ideas

Panther is often a problem, despite claims it's more stable than 10.2.8
(Jaguar) My Toast 5 went klunky when I upgraded to 10.3 - it wouldn't load -
I'd have to delete the program, re-install and then it was usable, but if I
closed it down, the next time I'd have to do the same thing - delete and
re-install.
After a while I got sick of this and all the other bugs and tried to go back
to Jaguar - no deal. My address book was lost completely as were a lot of
other stuff.
Try getting an upgrade of the software for Panther or go back to Jaguar (but
expect problems with other Mac programs)
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:34:48 PM

stewy wrote:
> anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>Dear All,
>>
>>I have some strange behaviour on my wireless network and woner if anyone
>>has already solved the problem....
>>
>>iMac G5 running Panther, built in Airport card talking to my existing 802.11
>>network
>>
>>Scenario 1 - WEP is DISABLED on the network.
>>Everything works perfectly !
>>
>>Scenario 2 - WEP (128Bit, ASCII) ENABLED
>>Every time I boot the iMac, it has lost contact with the network ! The
>>little Airport monitor on the menu bar shows no strength. If I then click on
>>this, it offers me "Network X" or "Other". If I choose "Network X", it
>>offers me a password box, thinks about it for a minute, then gives me an
>>error message saying there was a problem connecting.
>>
>>Now - if I click on "other" and enter "Network X" as the desired network,
>>click on 128Bit ASCII WEP and enter the password, the machine connects just
>>fine.
>>
>>However - if I reboot, it loses the connection and I have to go through this
>>again....
>>
>>With noWEP, it's just fine - automatically connects to the wireless network,
>>but with WEP enabled it seems to drop the connection and not remember the
>>network password.
>>
>>Funnily enough, when I logged into my wife's account to set the netowrk
>>password for her, the dialogue box gave the "add to keychain" option and the
>>netowrk connection works fine for her after reboot..... but it doesn't give
>>me the "add to keychain" option
>>
>>Anyone got any ideas
>>

> Panther is often a problem, despite claims it's more stable than 10.2.8
> (Jaguar) My Toast 5 went klunky when I upgraded to 10.3 - it wouldn't load -
> I'd have to delete the program, re-install and then it was usable, but if I
> closed it down, the next time I'd have to do the same thing - delete and
> re-install.
> After a while I got sick of this and all the other bugs and tried to go back
> to Jaguar - no deal. My address book was lost completely as were a lot of
> other stuff.
> Try getting an upgrade of the software for Panther or go back to Jaguar (but
> expect problems with other Mac programs)

Sounds like Apple has the same problems as Windows in this case. Many
Windows users swear that 'upgrading', rather than a 'clean install',
always causes problems, although this has not been my experience. Just
lucky, I guess.
I have elected to do minor upgrades/patches only until time for a
hardware change.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!