Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU bad?

Last response: in Components
March 25, 2011 7:49:52 PM

Hello,
Just last night my computer crashed, which is to say it locked up completely and didn't respond to anything, now whenever I boot it up (I don't hear any system beeps) I have nothing on my monitor, the monitor just displays that it can't find anything on HDMI. Help?

More about : psu bad

a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2011 7:51:28 PM

Graphics card could be bad causing a short causing system to not post. Pull the video card out and try to plug the monitor into the mobos video output and then start the computer.
m
l
March 25, 2011 7:54:04 PM

cia24 said:
Graphics card could be bad causing a short causing system to not post. Pull the video card out and try to plug the monitor into the mobos video output and then start the computer.

I don't think my mobo has a video out.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2011 7:57:10 PM

My guess is going to be the video card is bad pull out the video card and see if any of the small usally silver capacators are cracked or broke open
m
l
March 25, 2011 8:10:16 PM

The card really looks fine, nothing is broken and I don't smell anything burnt
Do you think my monitor could be involved?
Also this is a good a time as any to mention that I hear a crackling noise coming from my PSU when I turn my computer off.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2011 8:20:54 PM

Open the case. Almost every motherboard had a GREEN LED located somewhere on the board. If the system is pulled into the wall and the toggle power switch on the back of the supply (right next to the power cord) in on, this LED will light. No, computer doesn't have to be boot or running its on ALL the time.

If it's off, you have NO POWER.....

Could be the power supply. Or, some component failed so badly it is shorting out the supply.

POST Details of system.... & let us know if the LED is ON
m
l
March 25, 2011 8:38:29 PM

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply

Also I smelled the power supply, it seems to have that acrid smell of burning components, is there a possibility that one part of my power supply could go out? i.e. the part that provides power to the video card?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2011 9:04:52 PM

Is the GREEN LED on the motherboard lit up ?????

m
l
March 25, 2011 9:07:56 PM

It's not green, it has never been green but the power LED is lit.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2011 9:53:40 PM

Ok, my bad, I looked at your MB on line. I don't see any on MB LED, just the Power Switch on the motherboard itself. Does pressing that button cause the system & CPU fans to spin up? Or power supply to turn on, as seen by its fan spinning up?

I know you said you don't get the normal beep codes.... or any beeps.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2011 9:55:24 PM

If the 12volts section of your power supply fails. CPU won't run and video won't run....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2011 10:19:49 PM

crackeling isnt good
m
l
March 26, 2011 7:54:59 AM

Try resetting your BIOS. I did that as well as remove and insert my GPU and it fixed it temporarily. Right now I'm not sure if it's doing 100% stable atm.
m
l
March 26, 2011 8:06:35 AM

just try with other PSU and if your system works again, then there is the problem. and if not at least you will knows is not the psu.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 26, 2011 11:34:43 AM

Might be time....

Too many people under estimate the importance of a strong, quality power supply. Choose one from Corsair, Antec TP, or Seasonic...
650watts will work for any single GPU system.
850Watts will work for all but the highest end dual GPU systems.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec & Corsair are my favorite brands for power supplies. Everyone I"ve had has been rock solid.

BUT, they do have several different grades / series here are the Corsair Series.....

CX carries a 2 year Warranty
CS carries a 3 year
TX carries a 5 year
HX carries a 7 year

I've used TX & HX. I have no experience with CS or CX.....
m
l
!