Sign in with
Your question

Is it good or bad to leave side of case off?

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2010 8:25:38 PM

hey, my cousin leaves his side off for better ventilation, my research has shown conflicting opinions. some say its good but some also say it disrupts air flow. i have tried without the side on for today and everything seems cool.
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2010 8:35:37 PM

If you have a case with good cooling then you should leave the side on. The negative air pressure created in a good case will suck heat away from components and be better than a case with no side.
December 31, 2010 8:37:37 PM

dust = heat, i might be wrong about more dust getting in with side off

but if you have case fans that make a air flow then ya it might be better to leave the side off... think about a tunnel with a fan blowing in it.. and in the middle of the tunnel is something being cooled by the fan, then remove a side of the tunnel and the fan doesnt do as much :o 
Related resources
December 31, 2010 8:42:56 PM

insanity99 said:
hey, my cousin leaves his side off for better ventilation, my research has shown conflicting opinions. some say its good but some also say it disrupts air flow. i have tried without the side on for today and everything seems cool.

5 years ago or so I had a computer that I always left the sides off. Wasn't necessarily because I thought it was better ventilation but just because the side wouldn't go back on very well lol.

That aside though I had that computer for 3+ years or so and never had a problem with it.

I would unplug it about once every 2 months or so and go blow it out and anytime I upgraded it sure was easy to work on lol. Yes it's ok to call me lazy at that time.

goko and instanity are right though. Leave the sides on. They designed them like that for a reason.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 2:42:34 AM

Your cousin should put back the sides on his case
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 3:25:55 AM

Best way to check, monitor temps with the side off, then put it back on and see if they change at all, if they dont i would leave the side on just to keep everything protected.
January 1, 2011 3:36:35 AM

What Hunter315 said!
!