Maybe changing my mind in Nikon vs Canon

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 24, 2005 2:57:38 PM

I have been planing in the next month get a D70 to use with several
book projects. I have no existing investment in any Nikon lenses
which will work with the D70 and would have been getting a couple of
additional AF lenses beyond the kit lens. But the body has been a
concern of mine and the feel of it. In that respect the D100 had to me
the better "feel".

I had the chance Saturday to use a Canon 20D for a couple of hours. I
like the feel of the camera and it seem to be better built (and more
expensive than the D70 and have brighter viewfinder among other
things.

I'm now back examining my assumptions about maybe spending the extra
dollars and get a Canon with the EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM as the kit
lens and add the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM for available light work and the EF
75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to round out the set.

It's more money but it seem like a more rugged camera.

Any thoughts about these change of heart...

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president
represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of
the people. On some great and glorious day the plain
folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at
last and the White House will be adorned by a downright
moron." [1920]

H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 9:44:09 PM

John A. Stovall wrote:
> I have been planing in the next month get a D70 to use with several
> book projects. I have no existing investment in any Nikon lenses
> which will work with the D70 and would have been getting a couple of
> additional AF lenses beyond the kit lens. But the body has been a
> concern of mine and the feel of it. In that respect the D100 had to me
> the better "feel".
>
> I had the chance Saturday to use a Canon 20D for a couple of hours. I
> like the feel of the camera and it seem to be better built (and more
> expensive than the D70 and have brighter viewfinder among other
> things.

I consider "feel" an important issue when choosing a camera. It may not
the #1, but it is on my list. Of course feel is a very subjective issue and
there is no one right feel for everyone. As it turns out, I like the feel
of the 20D and I like it even a little better with the battery pack on it.
I can't compare it with the Nikons as I no longer have any Nikon equipment
(Note: I liked the Nikon equipment, but at one point I had the opportunity
to buy into either system without penalty and at that time Canon won out
based on total price of what I needed, as everything else was about equal.).
I due like my 20D.

> I'm now back examining my assumptions about maybe spending the extra
> dollars and get a Canon with the EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM as the kit
> lens and add the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM for available light work and the EF
> 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to round out the set.

I wonder. I would think that the IS on a 17-85 would not be a
significant factor. The regular kit lens is a rather good lens. If you end
up going that way, I will be interested in hearing how you like the IS
feature on that lens.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:09:49 PM

Canon vs Nikon is a dead end issue.
They both make superior lenses and bodys. Put it to rest.
Go out and make a picture...even with a Kodak Brownie.

January 24, 2005 10:53:20 PM

Hi John

I own Nikon film gear, and bought a D70 so as to get
usage of my nice Nikon-mount lenses. I like it a lot.

However, if I were buying fresh, I'd buy Canon gear.
They've got a solid lead over Nikon on DSLR sensors.

I hope to buy a second digital DSLR this summer,
finances allowing. I need something better than the
D70 for outdoor action pix. Leaning towards a 20D
or 1D Mk II. The D2X, if good, might hold me in
Nikon world, but the lack of sample pix just one
month before the camera's release makes me suspicious
already that it's going to be another D2H: non-competitive
with Canon's offerings.

-- stan
January 25, 2005 2:20:19 AM

Nothing Nikon has done in the past 13 years has indicated to me I made any
kind of mistake dumping Nikon for Canon in 1992. In fact I've since found
out with a scanner that Nikon Service is a collection of arrogant
incompetants and will never waste another penny on Nikon products.
Canon has the better technology and the better lenses. Overall they are
even cheaper as Nikon's out of date mount makes something as simple as USM
more costly.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have been planing in the next month get a D70 to use with several
> book projects. I have no existing investment in any Nikon lenses
> which will work with the D70 and would have been getting a couple of
> additional AF lenses beyond the kit lens. But the body has been a
> concern of mine and the feel of it. In that respect the D100 had to me
> the better "feel".
>
> I had the chance Saturday to use a Canon 20D for a couple of hours. I
> like the feel of the camera and it seem to be better built (and more
> expensive than the D70 and have brighter viewfinder among other
> things.
>
> I'm now back examining my assumptions about maybe spending the extra
> dollars and get a Canon with the EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM as the kit
> lens and add the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM for available light work and the EF
> 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to round out the set.
>
> It's more money but it seem like a more rugged camera.
>
> Any thoughts about these change of heart...

> "As democracy is perfected, the office of president
> represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of
> the people. On some great and glorious day the plain
> folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at
> last and the White House will be adorned by a downright
> moron." [1920]
>
> H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:22:07 AM

John A. Stovall wrote:
> I have been planing in the next month get a D70 to use with several
> book projects. I have no existing investment in any Nikon lenses
> which will work with the D70 and would have been getting a couple of
> additional AF lenses beyond the kit lens. But the body has been a
> concern of mine and the feel of it. In that respect the D100 had to me
> the better "feel".
>
> I had the chance Saturday to use a Canon 20D for a couple of hours. I
> like the feel of the camera and it seem to be better built (and more
> expensive than the D70 and have brighter viewfinder among other
> things.
>
> I'm now back examining my assumptions about maybe spending the extra
> dollars and get a Canon with the EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM as the kit
> lens and add the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM for available light work and the EF
> 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to round out the set.
>
> It's more money but it seem like a more rugged camera.
>
> Any thoughts about these change of heart...

> "As democracy is perfected, the office of president
> represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of
> the people. On some great and glorious day the plain
> folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at
> last and the White House will be adorned by a downright
> moron." [1920]
>
> H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Hi,
I was in China for the Christmas and New years day with family.
My daughter was using Canon and in our tour group there was a fellow
from England who makes living taking phtos. He swears by Canon listing
all the troubles he had with Nikon lately. Maybe Nikon QC is slipping(?)
I am a total newbie in digital stuff.
Tony
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 5:53:23 AM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:09:49 -0500, "Jim Waggener"
<jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote:

>Canon vs Nikon is a dead end issue.
>They both make superior lenses and bodys. Put it to rest.
>Go out and make a picture...even with a Kodak Brownie.

I don't think the D70 is a superior body to the 20E I used but you
must be happy with your Kodak.

"A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

_Introductions to History of the Reformation_
Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:45:55 AM

I, too, looked over the specs, features, and interfaces and
concluded the D70 and 20D were close enough (for me)
that I'd be happy with either. Before laying out $$, I spent
an afternoon playing with both at my local store.

I discovered that the jog wheel on the Canon was much
faster and easier to use than the cursor keys on the Nikon.

But the clincher was the viewfinder. I found I had to constantly
readjust my head position to read the indicators/readouts on the
Nikon but I didn't have to adjust for the Canon. Having to move
my head up so I could look further down on the Nikon would
drive me crazy over the long-run. Still don't know why but my
eyes aren't that great anyway.

I spent the extra money on a Canon kit. And have been
pleased.

Cheers!
-bob

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:57:38 -0600, John A. Stovall
<johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have been planing in the next month get a D70 to use with several
>book projects. I have no existing investment in any Nikon lenses
>which will work with the D70 and would have been getting a couple of
>additional AF lenses beyond the kit lens. But the body has been a
>concern of mine and the feel of it. In that respect the D100 had to me
>the better "feel".
>
>I had the chance Saturday to use a Canon 20D for a couple of hours. I
>like the feel of the camera and it seem to be better built (and more
>expensive than the D70 and have brighter viewfinder among other
>things.
>
>I'm now back examining my assumptions about maybe spending the extra
>dollars and get a Canon with the EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM as the kit
>lens and add the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM for available light work and the EF
>75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to round out the set.
>
>It's more money but it seem like a more rugged camera.
>
>Any thoughts about these change of heart...

>"As democracy is perfected, the office of president
> represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of
> the people. On some great and glorious day the plain
> folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at
> last and the White House will be adorned by a downright
> moron." [1920]
>
> H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:19:02 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:09:49 -0500, Jim Waggener <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote:

> Canon vs Nikon is a dead end issue.
> They both make superior lenses and bodys. Put it to rest.
> Go out and make a picture...even with a Kodak Brownie.

I had a twin-lens Brownie in 620 a long time ago, and I got some
really good pictures out of it. I think it forced me to be more
aware of my technique since you couldn't control much else...
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:20:28 AM

I have Nikon but if I were to do it today I'd go with Canon.

I'm really disappointed in the marketing of the D2X. I was hoping that Nikon
would see an opportunity to TRY to get back some of the market from Canon and
price this thing really aggessively. Bring it out for LESS than the Mark II and
really give people a reason to try to stay with Nikon... A higher resolution
body with pretty much the same capabilities as the Canon for a lower price...

Unfortunately, with the numbers I'm seeing lately, and the apparent capabilities
of the D2X, NIkon isn't going to do anything to give anyone a reason to switch..
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:48:27 AM

>Subject: Re: Maybe changing my mind in Nikon vs Canon
>From: dperez@juno_nospam.com
>Date: Thu, Feb 3, 2005 9:20 AM
>
>I have Nikon but if I were to do it today I'd go with Canon.
>
>I'm really disappointed in the marketing of the D2X. I was hoping that
>Nikon
>would see an opportunity to TRY to get back some of the market from Canon
>and
>price this thing really aggessively. Bring it out for LESS than the Mark
>II and
>really give people a reason to try to stay with Nikon... A higher resolution
>body with pretty much the same capabilities as the Canon for a lower price...
>
>Unfortunately, with the numbers I'm seeing lately, and the apparent
capabilities
>of the D2X, NIkon isn't going to do anything to give anyone a reason to
>switch..

Its quite possible (I don't know this, its just a guess) that Nikon may bring
out a D90 with more features than a D70/less money than a D2x. The PMA show is
soon so we should know in short order...

Check out my photos at "LEWISVISION":

http://members.aol.com/Lewisvisn/home.htm

Remove "nospam" to reply

***DUE TO SPAM, I NOW BLOCK ALL E-MAIL NOT ON MY LIST, TO BE ADDED TO MY LIST,
PING ME ON THE NEWSGROUP. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. :-) ***
!