Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should I upgrade my GTX295?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2010 3:12:21 PM

Hello,
I have been researching video cards and on one of the sites it allowed comparing video cards. I currently have a GTX295 and I was thinking of upgrading to a GTX 470 or a ATI 6870. But from that comparision chart my GTX 295 is a OVERALL better card...Can this RIGHT??? Should I upgrade to something else or try to cool my GTX 295? If so how???

More about : upgrade gtx295

a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 3:15:04 PM

How hot is your GTX 295 running? No need to look for custom cooling if it isn't too bad (below 85C). And your card runs faster than those because they are single-GPU cards and yours is a dual-GPU card. Dual-GPU cards run a lot hotter and takes a whole lot more power, especially the GTX 295.
November 1, 2010 3:18:46 PM

skolpo said:
How hot is your GTX 295 running? No need to look for custom cooling if it isn't too bad (below 85C). And your card runs faster than those because they are single-GPU cards and yours is a dual-GPU card. Dual-GPU cards run a lot hotter and takes a whole lot more power, especially the GTX 295.

The GTX295 is running up towards 90C with 100% fan while running Battlefield Bad Company 2 with everything set to high! I have my case taken apart due to it running so hot!
Any ideas other than turning down some settings? I was looking for some way to cool it (radiator)
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 3:21:50 PM

I will say 90C is still tolerable. GTX 295s run very very hot and by far one of the hottest cards ever made. You should be fine as long as it doesn't break 100C. Try cleaning the card of any dust that might be stuck inside the fan or on the card's circuit board. It can help the cooling situation immensely. The farthest I'd go in dealing with cooling on a GTX 295 is to change the thermal paste on it, but even that is quite a hassle. I personally wouldn't invest on a cooling solution for a GTX 295 because the GTX 295 will very soon be outdated and it simply isn't worth the trouble to look for cooling solutions for a dual-GPU card. I say enjoy the card for another year and a half and then come back here to decide on a possible upgrade.
November 1, 2010 3:26:34 PM

Thanks for the info...When the card reaches this temperature in game the video output shuts down. i.e. no signal....Once it cools off (below 85C) I have video, once it gets between 81C and 85 C the video shows "pixels" large squares on the screen, then around the 90C mark the video output shuts down...

With Call of Duty Black Ops coming out and Battlefield BC I was either looking to replace the card or cool my existing...Would adding more tower fans help? I have 4 fans currently in the case but can add a coupel fo more maybe...
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 3:27:03 PM

I disagree, 90C isnt horrid for a 295, but 90C with a taken apart case and 100% fan means something is likely wrong. As long as it doesnt break, id use it until around November 22nd, as that when the high end AMD lineup is suppose to be released. Nvidia is also seemingly about to launch a GTX 580 between now and february, so might want to wait for that as well.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 3:32:29 PM

Joe Schmoe said:
Thanks for the info...When the card reaches this temperature in game the video output shuts down. i.e. no signal....Once it cools off (below 85C) I have video, once it gets between 81C and 85 C the video shows "pixels" large squares on the screen, then around the 90C mark the video output shuts down...

With Call of Duty Black Ops coming out and Battlefield BC I was either looking to replace the card or cool my existing...Would adding more tower fans help? I have 4 fans currently in the case but can add a coupel fo more maybe...

Well, if you are dealing with pixelation and shutdowns, THEN you have a problem. It should NOT be pixelating at 81-85C since these are rated to run higher than that. There are reviews and instances where the card runs upwards 88C without any issues. The card might be dudding or the temperatures are higher than you're being told.

As for the case, where are the fans situated in the case? It is important to have a good sense of airflow in order to provide maximal cooling within a case. An open case kills any sense of airflow since the air would simply escape through the opened side. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on the temperature outside of the case and if the case is seated in a enclosed area or opened area.
November 1, 2010 4:02:55 PM

skolpo said:
Well, if you are dealing with pixelation and shutdowns, THEN you have a problem. It should NOT be pixelating at 81-85C since these are rated to run higher than that. There are reviews and instances where the card runs upwards 88C without any issues. The card might be dudding or the temperatures are higher than you're being told.

As for the case, where are the fans situated in the case? It is important to have a good sense of airflow in order to provide maximal cooling within a case. An open case kills any sense of airflow since the air would simply escape through the opened side. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on the temperature outside of the case and if the case is seated in a enclosed area or opened area.

The fans are located as follows: Two fans top of the case pulling air in, there is a fan pulling air in and across the radiator for the CPU cooler, one internal fan that blows directly onto the video card, and then one large slow (don't know the CFM) on the side.

I tried running the video card with the case opened and closed, with the case open I was able to drop the temp by 5 C if I remember right, might have been 4 C but it was a good drop with the case open. And it took much longer for the temps to go up with the case open compared to being closed...Air temp in the room is usually right around 22C.

It's a Thermalake tower or however you spell it!!
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 4:10:28 PM

Your two top fans should be blowing air out, hot air rises and therefore your just fighting natural flow. Do you have a location for a front case fan? These tend to help greatly.
November 1, 2010 4:16:41 PM

deweycd said:
Your two top fans should be blowing air out, hot air rises and therefore your just fighting natural flow. Do you have a location for a front case fan? These tend to help greatly.

I will check again when I get home, but best I remember they are pulling IN air not blowing out...Not 100% on this though...

As for the front case fan, I think I have room, again I will check this when I get home. Might even have one...
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 4:19:43 PM

deweycd said:

Not entirely true. Some configurations are better with the top fans taking air in.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 4:45:44 PM

ares1214 said:
Not entirely true. Some configurations are better with the top fans taking air in.

It's never a good scenario to have the top fans taking air in unless you're running an H50 cooler or something. Even so, you should at least have the air vented out from a fan near the top.

Air should be pulled in from the lower fans. In your case, it seems to be a fan in the front and a fan on the side panel. Air should then be vented out from the top.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 4:49:07 PM

skolpo said:
It's never a good scenario to have the top fans taking air in unless you're running an H50 cooler or something. Even so, you should at least have the air vented out from a fan near the top.

Air should be pulled in from the lower fans. In your case, it seems to be a fan in the front and a fan on the side panel. Air should then be vented out from the top.

I know a lot of people who have a Antec 1200 with the top fans as intakes and the rear fans as exhuast. It all depends, but the top fans as intakes creates positive airflow. There is no one optimal case airflow design, and applying thermodynamics to find one sounds good on paper, but it all depends.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 5:52:56 PM

But what's the use of having a top intake? Unless you have to cool an internal radiator, I don't see much of the point of pulling air from the top when the fron will suffice. Whatever it might depend on, pulling air from the top sounds less than conventional to me. But yes, airflow in a case is definitely overemphasized.
November 1, 2010 6:26:38 PM

I had to sort out heating issues with a 9800GX2. Normall temp for my card is around 80C but that is low fan.

I'm not sure of the design of the GTX 295, but the 9800GX2 blows hot air inside the case. I have an 80mm exhaust fan (AC F8 pro) above the card (with a home made funnel to catch the hot air). At the rear of the card, I have an 120mm intake fan (AC F12 PRO). For getting rid of the rest of the heat, I have a 120mm Scythe Kama jyuni 1900 intake in my 5.1/4" bays and another identicle fan for exhaust at the back. I only have an AC Freezer 7 pro rev 2.0 for the CPU but even with my fan controller set to minimum, everything is cool and quiet.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 6:35:40 PM

If you are having this issues you are at over 85C, it could be an issues of the v-ram or VRM's overheating instead. These items usually get coolded with thermal tape, and they do go bad. I have had 3 cards require new thermal tape on those items. When I pulled the cards appart, the thermal tape over the vram or vrm's were fried to a crisp.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 6:39:04 PM

skolpo said:
But what's the use of having a top intake? Unless you have to cool an internal radiator, I don't see much of the point of pulling air from the top when the fron will suffice. Whatever it might depend on, pulling air from the top sounds less than conventional to me. But yes, airflow in a case is definitely overemphasized.

I wouldnt say ariflow is over emphasized, id say CFM is overemphasized. Airflow is important, it has its limits, but it is important. CFM on the other hand is overemphasized. Most people would assume a case with 10 100 CFM fans can cool better than a case with 3 70 CFM fans. This is simply not true, as it all depends on case designs, airflow design/path, deadspots, and positive/negative airflow.
November 1, 2010 7:48:03 PM

ares1214 said:
I wouldnt say ariflow is over emphasized, id say CFM is overemphasized. Airflow is important, it has its limits, but it is important. CFM on the other hand is overemphasized. Most people would assume a case with 10 100 CFM fans can cool better than a case with 3 70 CFM fans. This is simply not true, as it all depends on case designs, airflow design/path, deadspots, and positive/negative airflow.

OK I am at home and here is my set up:

Thermalkae case, I have the following fans:
1-Thermalake 2020 on the top pulling IN air
1- Thermalake 2020 on the side pulling IN air
1- standard fan inside pushing air ONTO the GTX 295 (it was pulling air away form the card but conflicting with the front case fan)
1- standard (most common fan don't know the size or name) fan in the front of the case pulling air IN
1- standard fan on the CPU cooler pulling air IN

So basically I have NO fans pushing the hot air out...

I started the EVGA program and wit the side cover off , temps were 64C GPU1 and 63 C GPU2
with the side cover on my temps are 67C GPU1 and 66C GPU2

Any ideas or thoughts???

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 7:49:23 PM

Joe Schmoe said:
OK I am at home and here is my set up:

Thermalkae case, I have the following fans:
1-Thermalake 2020 on the top pulling IN air
1- Thermalake 2020 on the side pulling IN air
1- standard fan inside pushing air ONTO the GTX 295 (it was pulling air away form the card but conflicting with the front case fan)
1- standard (most common fan don't know the size or name) fan in the front of the case pulling air IN
1- standard fan on the CPU cooler pulling air IN

So basically I have NO fans pushing the hot air out...

I started the EVGA program and wit the side cover off , temps were 64C GPU1 and 63 C GPU2
with the side cover on my temps are 67C GPU1 and 66C GPU2

Any ideas or thoughts???

You NEED exhuast fans.
November 1, 2010 7:53:19 PM

ares1214 said:
You NEED exhuast fans.

On top on back where woud be the best place for them? I tried switching the side panel fan and it doesn't sit well when trying to make it an exhaust fan....Haven't tried the top fan though...Should I go buy a couple of standards and fill in the holes that are open for exhaust???
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 7:57:00 PM

Joe Schmoe said:
On top on back where woud be the best place for them? I tried switching the side panel fan and it doesn't sit well when trying to make it an exhaust fan....Haven't tried the top fan though...Should I go buy a couple of standards and fill in the holes that are open for exhaust???

The standard airflow pattern is intake on side, front, and bottom, and exhuast on rear and top.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 8:01:20 PM

That "standard" is not always best though, if I have the side fans on my SLi rig set as intakes the GPU temps rise as an air pocket seems to form right where the front edge of the HSF's are.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 8:04:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That "standard" is not always best though, if I have the side fans on my SLi rig set as intakes the GPU temps rise as an air pocket seems to form right where the front edge of the HSF's are.

True, as i said before, "Not entirely true. Some configurations are better with the top fans taking air in." It all depends on your individual case, no pun intended, but that it the standard air flow pattern. Just try things out. Side fans generally help GPU cooling, but sometimes creat deadzones that heat up the CPU, NB, or other random areas.
November 2, 2010 11:37:25 AM

Ok, so after re-configuring my fans as follows:
Top is exhaust
1 side fan (Thermalake 2020) is intake, other side is a standard fan (found it last night) is exhaust
front case fan is intake
internal fan is blowing on lower half of GTX 295 card (actually top of the video card, it's upside down due to the motherboard)
Rear fan and CPU cooler radiator fan is exhaust now also (was intake)

Played Battlefield BC2 for 30 minutes after making the changes to the fans and the highest temperature I saw was 71C on GPU1 and 70C on GPU2...Much improved and thanks to all for the help!

I should have looked at this to begin with but just "ASSUMED" that the factory knew what it was doing when they put my PC together for me....DOH! :pfff: 
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2010 11:38:50 AM

Joe Schmoe said:
Ok, so after re-configuring my fans as follows:
Top is exhaust
1 side fan (Thermalake 2020) is intake, other side is a standard fan (found it last night) is exhaust
front case fan is intake
internal fan is blowing on lower half of GTX 295 card (actually top of the video card, it's upside down due to the motherboard)
Rear fan and CPU cooler radiator fan is exhaust now also (was intake)

Played Battlefield BC2 for 30 minutes after making the changes to the fans and the highest temperature I saw was 71C on GPU1 and 70C on GPU2...Much improved and thanks to all for the help!

I should have looked at this to begin with but just "ASSUMED" that the factory knew what it was doing when they put my PC together for me....DOH! :pfff: 

No problem, its amazing what no exhaust fan does, keeps all the hot air inside the case, never good for temps. Like trying to put out a fire with fire.
November 11, 2010 11:46:00 PM

Best answer selected by joe schmoe.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 12, 2010 12:11:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!