Upgrading RAM for BF3

punisher 281

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Just installed BF3 yesterday and got the lovely blue screen of death I've been hearing so much about three times yesterday. I've been trying to get answers from the official BF3 forums, but haven't gotten anything solid or concrete. The only lead I have is that it's a memory error (even though I've never had a memory related error since installing it back in 2009.

Just for the record, this is my current RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227324

This is what I'm planning on upgrading to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233185

Everytime the game has caused a BSOD, there is a meassage that says something to the effect of dumping physical memory (?) and a percentage climbs all the way up to 100 quickly.

I really want to play this game and am hoping that this fixes it. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the matter?

Thanks for any help

Solution
Can you run BF3 in windowed mode and monitor your temperatures and RAM usage?

Also, if and when it BSOD's again, can you take a picture or tell us the error message? The error message is the one in all caps on the fourth line, I think.

punisher 281

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Just a quick update:

Dropped settings from Ultra to medium and it played for quite a bit longer, but still ended with the game crashing. Rebooted the computer and played for about 15 minutes and BSOD.

soren121

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Can you run BF3 in windowed mode and monitor your temperatures and RAM usage?

Also, if and when it BSOD's again, can you take a picture or tell us the error message? The error message is the one in all caps on the fourth line, I think.

Solution

punisher 281

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

I ended up getting a refund for BF3 and using that money to upgrade my RAM. Hopefully the game is fixed around Xmas time when it goes on sale again.

Thanks for the reply though. If it happens after I get it again, I'll revive this thread with results.

punisher 281

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Guess my RAM was the key to the blue screens. Played all weekend after installing the new RAM and reformatting the hard drive and only had 1 issue where my computer froze up completely and Win 7 did an error check on the hard drive. After that, no issues at all.