Looking for a decent motherboard

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Well yes down the road, i mean like well down the road, i am not a hardcore gamer, but for now i am getting a decent GPU, i don't play super advanced games and am not planning on it, that is why i have an xbox. There are just a few games that i like to play on PC, that i would like to have full setting son now. I don't need a mobo that can be upgraded to a super gpu down the road, i am just looking for a decent yet cheap mobo that has usb 3.0 and can hold my i7 cpu and the space to upgrade in ram. Both the mobo's i provided don't have usb 3.0 but know thinking about it i would like to get one that has it.

Any suggestions would be great.

cheeseinator

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Well for upgrading to a next-gen gpu you would rather have a pcie 3.0 slots than 2.1 that way you can upgrade to a gpu thats more "up to date" than "super" as for USB 3.0 it's becoming more and more common and you should have no trouble finding a good mobo on newegg. I don't know what you plan to do with this rig, but unless it involves heavy photo editing/ rendering I personally don't see a reason for the i7, as an i5 2500k performs well in games and other simple tasks. That's just my opinion.

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I do plan on video editing and video rendering, but i would also like to be-able to play some video games on it, do you have any suggestions?

greenpenguin

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
i noticed that both the motherboards you suggested are microATX form factor. This will work, but you may find yourself a little bit cramped and limited with upgrades in the future. If you are not overclocking and you do not plan on using the integrated gpu in your processor, then you have no need for a z68 chipset.

the h61 or h67 chipsets would be good options for a cheaper price. such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130616

If the motherboard you decide on doesn't have usb ports than you can easily get a USB3.0 pci card for it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166035

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Yes i don't really need room for upgrading nor do i want to Overlock. I just plainly am building a pc for school, work, and maybe a little gaming. I see the mobo you have supplied which looks good, and i am going to consider it greatly!!

I do have one question how would i go about putting that usb 3.0 card into the motherboard? I am indeed a noob to this. Just saying.

cheeseinator

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Just put the card in the PCI-e slot on the motherboard, look at the instructions that came with the usb card also. Plus im sure there are vids on youtube on how to install pci cards.

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Yeah i just did a little research and now know where and how to install something into that port. Just out of curiosity which pci-e slot should the gpu go into a express one or a normal one. Or does it matter

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I completely get what everyone saying know hahaha, wow i am a scrub.
So down the road they are changing the port that graphics cards dock into for reasons of speed and better connection i am assuming.

So by getting a mobo with this i can upgrade in the future

New question than, if i get a mobo with these pci-e 3.0 port can i put a graphics card in that goes into a pci-E?

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Sweet so the new ports will fit all older gpu's but new gpu's won't fit old ports.
So i think i might reloook into my mobo

thanks guys
i will post my findings soon