MOBO/RAM issues

Ked4

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hello, Since I built my PC last year I have not been able to use two sticks of ram (in the proper DIMM slots) when I place both sticks in the respected slots (1-3 or 2-4) I get a BSOD before I can get to my desktop (sometimes I get to my desktop but, you can tell there are issues going on. My color sceme changes to default and applications will crash)

Now I have RMA'd my MOBO and the RAM sticks, so I don't believe they are the culprit. Recently I realized that since I built this machine myself I should have tweaked the memory timings for my RAM. I am thinking that this will solve my problems since, when I look at my memory timing (using programs like CPU-Z and CPU-Tweaker.) They are way off of the recommended settings.

So my problem, now is that I cannot seem to change the memory timings. I read through the manual that came with my MOBO, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the timings in the MOBO BIOS. (I have been looking for HOURS, and just flashed my BIOS to the most recent) I Downloaded CPU-Tweaker to change the timings from my desktop however the CAS latency is greyed out and cannot seem to be changed.

Currently my RAM is timed at 7-7-7-20 when it is recommended to be 9-9-9-24 can anyone tell me if this is a big deal? If this may cause BSOD and terrible application errors?

The link to my mother board shows a utility called Motherboard Intelligent BIOS II (M.I.B II) for ECS boards. However as I said I just flashed the BIOS and the option is simply, not there. I tried to use CTRL+F1, no use.

Please if anyone has any insight at all I would really appreciate it.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=1038&CategoryID=1&MenuID=15&LanID=0 - MOBO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220435 - RAM

Your ram is probably running at 1066 fsb with the faster timings of 7-7-7-20. Try just changing the speed in manual mode to 667 (assuming the ram speed is half the actual, same as cpuz) and if the voltage is higher, try changing it to 1.5v.

Ked4

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I'm having some troubling finding a way to change my memory timing and voltage. My motherboard doesn't seem to have the option. Unless someone knows something I don't.