kimerian

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
hey guys, iam a bit confussed about 6+2 pcie connectors , i explain myself:
today i received my new gpu zotac gf gtx 580 amp so i started with my new pc build , when i arrived to the gpu part i was in a trouble, results that it has 1 pcie 6 pin connector and 1 pcie 8 pin connector so i connected 6 pin pcie from psu to the gpu and another 6 pin pcie from psu to a dual 6 pin to 8 pin pcie adapter connector that zotac brings in package, leaving 1 ot the two 6 pin adapter connector alone. So after being four hours asking me that something was trumping im coming here to ask you guys if im doing right or i should connect a 6+2 pcie together to form a 8 pin connector?

yes i know im very newbie about building pc's lol and sry for that sucky english, im working hard to get better at it :sol:

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
You don't need the adapter for your system.
Your card has a 6 pin and an 8 pin header.
Your PSU has 4x6+2 pin cables, so one 6 pin cable goes in the 6 pin header. And one 6+2 pin (making 8 pins) goes in the card's 8 pin header.

Your english is good enough, the fact that you try is what matters.

The 6+2 connectors are designed to be used together for a GPU's 8-pin socket. Use that instead of the 6-pin to 8-pin adapters.

The 6-pin to 8-pin adapters put extra stress on the power supply. On a good quality power supply, this won't matter ... but why do it if you have the 6+2 connector to use...

kimerian

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
ok guys thank you! the fact is that i didnt realize that it was 6+2 pin connectors , i was like wtf is happening here i miss a 8 pin connector from the psu :eek: haha anyways