Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATi 5770 Crossfire Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2010 5:33:32 PM

Hi everyone,

So I recently rebuilt my system, here are it's current specs.
AMD Phenom II x4 965BE OC'd @ 3.8 Ghz with stock heatsink/fan.
Gigabyte GA-890FX-UD5 PCI Express 2.0 Dual x16 Single x4 Single x8 Slots Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 2x2GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24-2T
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W with 60amps on +12v single rail
2x XFX ATi Radeon HD 5770's reference coolers @ Stock Speeds
Primary in top x16 slot
Secondary in third x4 slot
1440x900 @ 60 Hz VGA LCD Monitor (Planning on replacing with either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 24" DVI LCD soon).
Windows 7 Professional x64

I've been running on a single 5770 for about a year, just recently bought the 2nd one. Had to enable crossfire in Catalyst along with Catalyst A.I. (previously disabled), version 10.10 now. I also installed some application profiles for ATi, one from the official site one from some hardware site. I spent 2 days unplugging the video cards, plugging them into different slots, and then running benchmarks on performance in Unigine's Heaven demo.

My problem is that now it seems like BFBC2 and MW2 crash randomly, anywhere from the main menu all the way to around 1 match, maybe <5 mins. taking my whole computer with it (I have to do a hard reboot). When I disable crossfire in Catalyst, I don't seem to experience the crashes, but it's hard to tell since it's random.

I have the bottom card in the x4 since they were on top of each other when both are x16, and the top card was pushing 80c under load. Idle for top card now is around 47c. Ambient temp inside case and CPU are both around the low 40c. As far as I can tell, I get the same framerate in Unigine's Heaven as published specs, whether it's dual x16 or 1 x16, 1 x4.

Is anyone else experiencing crashes like this with 5770's crossfired? Is it because of my settings? Did I unplug/insert the cards too many times and somehow damage them? Thanks in advance if any of you can help me with this.

EDIT: Forgot to add my PSU, added at the top and here: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W with 60amps on +12v single rail.
November 3, 2010 7:17:09 PM

I also had the same problem with 2 HD 5770 (HIS) and it seems to be gone now. I however roled back to the 10.4 drivers and need to reconfirm on the 10.10 drivers, but i'm pretty sure it will work.

This is what i found out and works for me at the moment:

Ati CCC -> Ati overdrive -> Enable Manual Fan Control and put it to 100% (75% can also be used) play BFBC2 or MW2 and check if it's crashing. (mine didn't and i played the whole afternoon several matches)

I've downloaded MSI Afterburner also and even enabled ATI Overdrive. Both are running 910Mhz GPU clock settings & 1305Mhz memory clock settings, with Manual Fan control 75%. Game (mostly BFBC2 & Moh) runs smoothly for hours. Max temperature on both cards didn't even past the 47c after intensive gaming for hours!! playing on 1920x1080.

So my guess on this the voltage & fan settings on both cards have to be manually increased in order to run things smoothly without crashing.

My specs:
QX 9650 Oc'd 3.67Ghz (watercooled, temp max. not higher then 31c ever!! :wahoo:  )
Gigabyte GA-48x-DQ6
OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz
Zalman ZM850-HP 850W
2x HIS HD 5770 running now at 910Mhz/1305Mhz
22' LCD Full HD 1920x1080 60Hz (DVI-D)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Hope this helps!
Score
November 4, 2010 4:01:14 PM

When you OC'd your card did you increase the stock voltage as well? If so what do you currently have it set to? I'm going to try moving my bottom card back to the x16 slot and seeing if it makes a difference, after that I'm going to reinstall Windows 7 again and start with a fresh set of drivers.
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
November 4, 2010 4:17:29 PM

This is from ATI:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/certified/Pages/c...
HD5770 CF appears only in 850 PSU you have to click in details.

Increasing the voltage may damage permanent the chip. Downclock may work, i don't know but if you finaly want to solve all the issues go for a bronze 80 PSU.
Score
November 4, 2010 6:41:51 PM

So my PSU isn't good enough? It's 80% certified but it's not bronze as far as I can tell. I thought 60A on the single +12v rail and 750w was good enough for my system...

I ran some of those power supply tests and the most I ever got was like 550/600w. I have 3 SATAII drives and 1 SATA DVD/CD Burner, and 3 230mm fans, 5 120mm fans, and the stock CPU fan. Am I using too much power, that would really suck if I have to buy a brand new PSU. :( 
Score
Anonymous
November 4, 2010 7:09:58 PM

You can't make a law shoot to ati for that, the link i post was in public from theory to reality the distance is huge not sure if i can help to this.
Score

Best solution

November 4, 2010 7:43:05 PM

Your power supply is good for the cards & hardware you have, don't worry. It's one of the best power supplies in that range.

80% certified is also good enough...and talking about bronze, silver or gold PSU....please common it's only telling that the closer to 100% the less waste of energy drain there is on power supplies. and that it works as efficient as possible. You will only see it on your energy bill which is a little bit higher.

I run the cards with stock voltage (using MSI Afterburner) they run on 1202mV stockvoltage.

Use Guru3D Driver Sweeper (that's what i use) instead of reinstalling windows 7 again. Less hassle and saves time, if you want to make sure that the drivers are cleaned properly.

Off course you are free to install windows 7 all over fresh and clean....but that takes like a couple of hours....which best can be used for gaming :) 
Anonymous
November 4, 2010 8:18:18 PM

Good all these but then again ATI is placing the HD5770 CF only in 850 PSUs i have the HD5770 and extra power connection on board and enough capacitors for the pci-e.

I’m telling you it draws power that exits the theory limits many times in the end with all these you may manage to make your system to function in lower rates and finally to make it work. Probably you had to many Trojans and after reinstall the windows your pc is running in higher rates and it needs more power in areas that you have not. Having a good psu is not guarantee the power will be there if it is need it. The new motherboards with the 3 way CF and SLI they have HUGE capacitors to hold and cover a power need beyond the normal the old ones fail in that area a good analysis is here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
I had no other way to solve that problem in your case I believe is impossible.

Also ? they have the new japanese capacitors that can operate in 105 C Temprature is the other reason will make a capacitor not to operate well above 80 C as we knew untill now so you have also you make sure to drop the temprature the best way you can open halls to the box and put 2 extra 120x120 fans if you have to but it must be done.

Ps: They did it on purpose i mean the corporations they fix it this way to force us update our motherboards and our PSUs and etc.
Score
November 5, 2010 7:10:06 AM

What you are talking about is peak power mostly when staring up. I have a zalman ZM-MFC2 installed also with shows the Wattage used and it nevers peaks up above 312Watt (highest i ever measured)

And his mainboard is way newer then mine is so they are using almost the same capacitors or even better ones....so from what i'm seeing (comparing his rig with that of mine) his system hardware is good.

HD 5770 draws approx. 108 Watt max ( let's say 120 Watt to be safe) even then his power supply will run good!
Score
Anonymous
November 5, 2010 11:49:27 AM

In some games the power drow will me HUGE in the new motherboards they have Japanese capacitors fully operational in 105c from top to bottom my motherboard had only 2-3 of that kind the rest were starting having problems from 80c and above so you must drop the temprature down that limit. if you don’t have the extra 12 V connector on board for the pci-e you goanna need the 2 Molex to pci connector. In CF we speack about 4 molex so i thinig this operation is impossible. What to do to add more capacitors in your motherboard? Forgive I have no time to see and yours. No 2 molex to pci-e? then the only choise you got is to downclock your GPU -10 20 mhz maybe will be fine.

ATI is giving the HD5770 CF only in 850 watts PSU and also we can do nothing about it from the theory to reality the distance is HUGE This chip is like a F**** black hall.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/certified/Pages/c...
click the details only in 850 watts psu you gonna see 2 HD5770.
Score
November 5, 2010 2:00:42 PM

Best answer selected by dfreer.
Score
November 5, 2010 2:14:36 PM

vince_72 said:
What you are talking about is peak power mostly when staring up. I have a zalman ZM-MFC2 installed also with shows the Wattage used and it nevers peaks up above 312Watt (highest i ever measured)

And his mainboard is way newer then mine is so they are using almost the same capacitors or even better ones....so from what i'm seeing (comparing his rig with that of mine) his system hardware is good.

HD 5770 draws approx. 108 Watt max ( let's say 120 Watt to be safe) even then his power supply will run good!

Thanks for the info vince_72! I'm going to try everything we've talked about so far, with reinstalling as a last option. I did reinstall the ATi drivers a couple of times as I moved the cards into different slots, and as I was testing my overclocks I had numerous blue screens. It wouldn't surprise me if something got corrupted.

As for Giatrikus, I reinstalled windows when I installed my brand new mobo/cpu/ram, and I doubt I had a single trojan. It's of course possible I did, but I doubt it. The PSU and motherboard are built with the new japanese capacitors, it says in the description and user manuals anyways. As for installing more case fans, it's pretty much impossible on my case. I already have the stock 3x230mm fans, 1x180mm fan. Then I have installed 4x180mm fans, one on the bottom intake, two pulling air from the front 230mm on the drive bay cage, and one in a air shroud outside of the case that pulls the exhaust out of the back of the 2x5770 cards.

I am going to give this a try as well, as I have negative air pressure and some things seem to run too hot for the amount of fans I have.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1516320
Basically just flips the top 2x230mm exhaust and makes them intake, I think it will lower temps quite a bit. Thanks everyone for your help, feel free to leave me any more bits of advice! Once I get a free chance I'll perform all the changes and update this thread!
Score
November 5, 2010 3:11:45 PM

vince_72 said:

don't bother arguing with him. Giatrakis is clueless and has never proved any of his theories with 3rd party information. a corsair 650w is more then enough for the ATI 5770 in CF and the OP has the 750w PSU.
Score
Anonymous
November 5, 2010 5:47:30 PM

I did post the ATI links this time i have HD5770 and you believe i don't want this case to be solved? I'm thinking to CF myself but I’m getting 60 C 950Mhz GPU 1350Mhz GDDR5 above that limit i can’t get stable if I don’t increase the voltage on the chip and I never do that I even run my Q6600 3 Ghz in 1.287 volts fully stable it was in 2.4 Ghz had 1.3 volts vid.

His motherboard runs the first 2 x16 the other 2 are x8 there is no point to change positions unless he is doing it for research. He is not talking about a flickering is a blue screen crash the issue doesn’t seems that simple, with all these fans the temperatures are really big unless other CF are having the same amount. I have 650 Thermaltake Bronze 80 by writing it this way don't spend time to give full specs of my PSU, thinking seriously to upgrade after reading ATI tests about HD5770 in the link i gave. I put more time in other threat i do believe the GA-X58A-UD9 can really do it 90 C Temperatures FULLY stable i give analysis in here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

The case is solved so why to spend more time in here?
Score
November 5, 2010 6:18:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!