Solved

PC or PS3

Approximate Purchase Date: In 2 Weeks

Budget Range: 500$ After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution:1440x900

I am very much confused with going for PC or PS3

NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811146058
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant
$69.99
$49.99


SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152185
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$69.99


HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...
Item #: N82E16814161338
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$149.99
$129.99


Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ...
Item #: N82E16817371033
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
-$15.00 Instant
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate
$59.99
$44.99


AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX
Item #: N82E16819103872
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$77.00


ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131631
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996768
Item #: N82E16820226092
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
-$40.00 Combo
$5.00 Mail-in Rebate
$194.98
$154.98

Subtotal: $526.94

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261253
PS3 Move

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181
Blu Ray Burner To Burn and Back up PS3 Games

Subtotal : 512$
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Quote:
    Approximate Purchase Date: In 2 Weeks

    Budget Range: 500$ After Rebates

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

    Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com

    Parts Preferences: None

    Overclocking: Maybe

    SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

    Monitor Resolution:1440x900

    I am very much confused with going for PC or PS3

    NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Item #: N82E16811146058
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    -$20.00 Instant
    $69.99
    $49.99


    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822152185
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $69.99


    HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...
    Item #: N82E16814161338
    Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
    -$20.00 Instant
    $30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $149.99
    $129.99


    Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ...
    Item #: N82E16817371033
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$15.00 Instant
    $15.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $59.99
    $44.99


    AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX
    Item #: N82E16819103872
    Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $77.00


    ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813131631
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996768
    Item #: N82E16820226092
    Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
    -$40.00 Combo
    $5.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $194.98
    $154.98

    Subtotal: $526.94

    OR

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261253
    PS3 Move

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181
    Blu Ray Burner To Burn and Back up PS3 Games

    Subtotal : 512$


    PC all the way. It's an open platform that can be upgraded for increased performance, it has better controls (keyboard and mouse DESTROY gamepads, but if pads are your poison, you have that option as well), much better graphics, dedicated servers for online gaming, mods and additional content for your games, more games (generally cheaper too), you can do your web-surfing, media storage and conversion, word processing, etc. on PC, and you have the satisfaction and pride in building and owning something unique. I own both a PS3 and an X-box 360, but to be honest, the only use they get is from my kids or when I have a bunch of buddies over for some drinking and social gaming. Consoles just can't compete!
  2. Get the corsair CX 430W its much cheaper, similiar quality and bigger output.
    This will allow you to get a GTX 460 - 768mb which gives 20-40% better performance across all resolutions. (130 after MIR)
  3. Lamiel said:
    PC all the way. It's an open platform that can be upgraded for increased performance, it has better controls (keyboard and mouse DESTROY gamepads, but if pads are your poison, you have that option as well), much better graphics, dedicated servers for online gaming, mods and additional content for your games, more games (generally cheaper too), you can do your web-surfing, media storage and conversion, word processing, etc. on PC, and you have the satisfaction and pride in building and owning something unique. I own both a PS3 and an X-box 360, but to be honest, the only use they get is from my kids or when I have a bunch of buddies over for some drinking and social gaming. Consoles just can't compete!


    well i already have a pc for non gaming stuff
    This is puely for gaming.Do You think with this i can max out seetings and play hardcore games with this setup
  4. Quote:
    well i already have a pc for non gaming stuff
    This is puely for gaming.Do You think with this i can max out seetings and play hardcore games with this setup

    That depends on your monitor resolution. HD5770 handles most games fine up to 1080P resolution.
  5. processor-AMD athlon II X4 640 $99.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871&cm_re=x4_640-_-19-103-871-_-Product

    motherboard-ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX $59.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176

    ram-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1333mhz DDR3 $49.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275

    power supply-Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C 80 PLUS Certified $59.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

    optical drive-Sony Optiarc Black $19.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118039

    hard drive-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache $69.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    case-Thermaltake V3 Black Edition mid tower ATX $44.99, $34.99 after rebate.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133094

    graphics card-HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 $129.99, $99.99 after rebate

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338&cm_re=5770-_-14-161-338-_-Product

    total-$535 before rebate, $495 after rebate
  6. Will this build allow me to play all the games @med-high settings until 2014
  7. Every year some new tech comes out. In 2014 there will be features that you will be missing but a GPU upgrade/s on the way there should help.
  8. well the motherboard does have 2 pci-e slots so you could add another 5770 if it isnt enough. the only problem is that 1 pci-e slot is at x16 and the other is at x4. if you want it to last until 2014 i guess you should go for a gtx 460 instead, better performance than a 5770. plus 2xgtx 460 is quite a bit faster than 2x5770. this is a pretty good deal.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127512
  9. One cannot compare a PS3 to a PC, most PS3 games won't have advanced visual effects (some of which are even starting to be considered standard like AA and AF) or go over 720p. Even a medium settings PC games will probably look better than most console games. However, a console is usually cheaper and doesn't require frequent updates to play newer games.

    There is something else to consider: game lineup; many games are only available on consoles (and not on all consoles moreover) or only on PC. What kind of games do you play or would you like to play?

    You also mentioned "backing-up" PS3 games. You do know that you will need to hack your PS3 to make it read backup disks right? And you do know that Sony reserves the right to ban any console deemed "altered" from the Playstation Network which would basically disable all kind of online features like gaming, PSN store, ...?
  10. Zenthar said:
    One cannot compare a PS3 to a PC, most PS3 games won't have advanced visual effects (some of which are even starting to be considered standard like AA and AF) or go over 720p. Even a medium settings PC games will probably look better than most console games. However, a console is usually cheaper and doesn't require frequent updates to play newer games.

    There is something else to consider: game lineup; many games are only available on consoles (and not on all consoles moreover) or only on PC. What kind of games do you play or would you like to play?

    You also mentioned "backing-up" PS3 games. You do know that you will need to hack your PS3 to make it read backup disks right? And you do know that Sony reserves the right to ban any console deemed "altered" from the Playstation Network which would basically disable all kind of online features like gaming, PSN store, ...?


    Okay I knew that
    Well i want my PC to be futureproof and play all the games @1440*900 for at least 4 yrs
    Should i wait for sandy bridge
  11. Best answer
    I think the first Sandy Bridge CPU are due in a week (Jan. 9th) so I would definitely wait a bit, if not to see if you want it for your build, at least to see if it has any impact on prices.

    4 years of gaming out of a 500$ build might be a bit optimistic, but if you are ready to switch your GPU in 1-2 years than it would be more realistic (or add a 2nd one if you MB is SLI/XFire capable). Nothing fancy, probably just injecting 100$ in 1-2 years you be enough (calculating the price you could sell your current card if you switch instead of upgrading).

    That's the bitch with PC gaming, game manufacturers aren't bound to a fixed system like consoles; PC games will try to take advantage of every new tech that comes out, even if it means people with older hardware might have a hard time.
  12. Zenthar said:
    I think the first Sandy Bridge CPU are due in a week (Jan. 9th) so I would definitely wait a bit, if not to see if you want it for your build, at least to see if it has any impact on prices.

    4 years of gaming out of a 500$ build might be a bit optimistic, but if you are ready to switch your GPU in 1-2 years than it would be more realistic (or add a 2nd one if you MB is SLI/XFire capable). Nothing fancy, probably just injecting 100$ in 1-2 years you be enough (calculating the price you could sell your current card if you switch instead of upgrading).

    That's the bitch with PC gaming, game manufacturers aren't bound to a fixed system like consoles; PC games will try to take advantage of every new tech that comes out, even if it means people with older hardware might have a hard time.


    pretty well !It has happened to me
    Budget Increased to 650$
  13. Best answer selected by sr26.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product